Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Material Studio Wishlist

The material studio looks very useful. Here are some comments:

- maybe more resolution options, like 640x480 etc.
    - the color picker is the old one, should be the same as current VfR
    - there's no prompt when you exit that tells you your materials won't be saved, and you need to export them
    - png is the only output, on purpose?
    - is the model in centimeters?

I guess this utility will be used to create and share materials, so not a lot of customization is desired, but I work with large objects (yachts) and mostly exteriors, so the studio lighting of this scene may not be as useful as a sun/sky for me.

Re: Material Studio Wishlist

the color picker is the old one, should be the same as current VfR
    The vfr color picker is the Rhino color picker, and chances are McNeel wouldn't want us to move that over to our own application. The color picker in the material studio is what we use in vfsu, and since this is the ASGvis Material Studio it will be familiar to some of our other users.

there's no prompt when you exit that tells you your materials won't be saved, and you need to export them
    Agreed

png is the only output, on purpose?
    Lossless compression and a standard/widely supported format.

is the model in centimeters?
    Good question. Useful information for creating fog and translucent materials.
    Damien Alomar<br />Generally Cool Dude

Comment

2 THUMBS UP FOR MATERIAL STUDIO!!

weary useful!

- I would like to see stamp controls.

Comment

Good start..but I see the thing is not gamma corrected.

@graig: When I made the scene for this tester it was in mm, so I presume it is still mm
        You can contact StudioGijs for 3D visualization and 3D modeling related services and on-site training.

Comment

I asked Joe earlier today, and he said that he took the scene directly from Gijs' scene file. So the model is in mm and if you download the material testor scene you can measure it to your hearts desire.
          Damien Alomar<br />Generally Cool Dude

Comment

Originally posted by Gijs
            It is your material tester scene - we didn't mess with any of the gamma / colormapping settings. I'm open for suggestions if you think we should switch over to our new gamma correcting stuff - but when I enabled it blew out the scene really bad. So I figured I would leave it the way it was.
            Best regards,
            Joe Bacigalupa
            Developer

Chaos Group

Comment

It looks like gamma input is higher than it should be.

one more thing that you need to add to material studio is some sort of STOP button.
              there is no way to stop sample rendering. there is issue, when you start render at small size, and in process try to switch to large, studio crashes. If you start to render one material and try to switch to other sometimes it crashes also.

anyway, i find it weary useful, and interesting for material testing and creating. it is much faster and easier way to play with materials.

Comment

I like the material Studio, really usefull!!
                You can work on material without Rhino

wish to improve:

1) Have more slot(preview) to store different version of the same material to be able to chose the better. (Like Flamingo library/editor)
                2)a STOP BUTTON!!!
                3)a way to open directly the material stored in a Rhino file
                4)For me, because i'm not an advanced user, it's better to have the standard Gamma Control (2.2)for rendering, or maybe an option to enable and set.

Keep working this way!
                Riccardo

Comment

Originally posted by demjan
                  one more thing that you need to add to material studio is some sort of STOP button.
                  If you change your selection in the material list ( the tree-control on the left side with all the material names ) then it will stop rendering

there is issue, when you start render at small size, and in process try to switch to large, studio crashes. If you start to render one material and try to switch to other sometimes it crashes also.
                  Ok - I'll check that out

Best regards,
                  Joe Bacigalupa
                  Developer

Chaos Group

Comment

Originally posted by Joe B
                    Originally posted by Gijs
                    It is your material tester scene - we didn't mess with any of the gamma / colormapping settings. I'm open for suggestions if you think we should switch over to our new gamma correcting stuff - but when I enabled it blew out the scene really bad. So I figured I would leave it the way it was.
                    That's odd. Here are some images. The first image is when light cache has almost finised (this looks as gamma corrected) The second is the final image. The last is the final image gamma corrected in post.

You can contact StudioGijs for 3D visualization and 3D modeling related services and on-site training.

Comment

It would be helpful if the sphere in the Material Studio had spherical mapping applied to it (rather than box mapping) so that when rendering wood, brushed metal etc it looks more realistic.

Cheers

Comment

spherical mapping pt. 2

An example that I found quite interesting.

"My brushed stainless steel has a comb-over!!!"

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by PhiD
                          "My brushed stainless steel has a comb-over!!!"
                          yep - the anisotropic features use the uvs of the geometry. I suppose that is how the uv's are setup.

Hair-club for spheres...I'm not just the president, I'm also a member. ( its a commercial in the states, don't feel bad if you don't get it )
                          Best regards,
                          Joe Bacigalupa
                          Developer

Chaos Group

Comment

Working...
                          X