Object Reflections Again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Object Reflections Again

I have found that in many cases the per object reflections get blocked if the object is inside of another object, or has a large emitter or panel of sorts above it. It would be nice to tell a material to not reflect other objects and only reflect its background map. Hopefully that made sense.

Re: Object Reflections Again

... that could be on my wish list too.
    www.simulacrum.de - visualization for designer and architects

Comment

hmm - ok I think I understand what your saying. I'll see what we can do
      Best regards,
      Joe Bacigalupa
      Developer

Chaos Group

Comment

Originally posted by Travis
        I have found that in many cases the per object reflections get blocked if the object is inside of another object
        Keep in mind that if an object is within another object's refractions, it is no longer its own object (I know this sounds wierd, but bear with me). When objectA is viewed through the refractions of objectB, objectA is not being seen (or visible), but rather it is visible through the refractions of ObjectB. So even if objectA has reflections or refractions those rays that are traced are still considered refractions of objectB because in the end they have to be traced back through objectB's refractions.

So if you have map for the ObjectA (either/and/or reflection/refraction/background) the take that map and place that in the refraction slot of objectB and see if that allows the per object properties of objectA to reappear. (I'm not 100% sure if this will work, but I think it will)

Hopefully this is clear enough for you to understand it. I'm not really sure whether to label this as a bug or a peculiar operation of V-Ray. Either way I guess there needs to be taken care off.
        Damien Alomar<br />Generally Cool Dude

Comment

Thanks guys. I think it will be a big help in many situations that I face with gemstones.
          I follow you Damien and I know what you're saying. It is peculiar operation that can be forced to work, but not always give as clean of a look. There were a lot of tricks for gemstones available to us in Brazil/Max that I am pretty sure Vray can manage. I am not familiar with Vray/Max like I am Brazil/Max however the two are not that indifferent at all. I know the code is different, but much of the principal is fairly the same. Anyway thanks for looking and let me know what you figure out.

Comment

How much Max to you typically use??...I ask because if your familiar with working in Max, then thats like 3/4 of it right there. V-Ray is V-Ray, so you definitely know enough to work with it in Max. About the only thing that you would really have to "learn" is how to do dispersive materials (use a vray blend material) and work with the per Object stuff (which is what you've been asking for and is pretty straight forward any way). I can't comment on using Brazil in Max (I've played with it in Rhino and looked through David's pages), but from what I've seen of Brazil its a bit better at trickery/wierd tweeks. I'm not really sure how much of that would be useful for gems (its pretty good for npr), but theres enough wiggle room in Vray for what you need. Right now that may be a little easier in Max, but not for long

Comment

I don't use max much anymore, although i was an avid user for near 10 years. i'm strictly a rhino user/developer now. I mention my lack of knowledge in vray/max simply because i dont have vray for max. We are currently working on integrating vray/rhino with a rhino jewelry plugin package called Matrix. The only reason i mention some of these things is so that hopefully I can automate some gemstone materials that i can count on to look good when the users using them don't really understand rendering to this level. A sort of denny's menu point and assign menu if you will.

So unfortunately I can't run to max to save me, because it's not for one particular image, it's for a theory of image generation that can be counted on to provide expected results. If i can isolate some reflections on gemstone materials I can count on them to look as expected regardless if the user puts them in a scene that would typically produce bad reflections/refractions.

Comment

Understood...Don't quote me 100% on this, but I believe Vlado has released some of the per object stuff to us in the SDK. So thats something that is probably closer than previously expected (since now we don't have to do it ourselves). Also I have been encouraging Joe to add as much scripting support as we can get in there (if it were up to me that would include commandline stuff and new V-Ray methods that could be accessed directly through scripts). Both of those would be very useful to your endeavor.

Comment

If Vlado did get more direct code in the SDK that would indeed be awesome for both you and me. Hopefully that pans out to be true :fingers crossed:.

I also agree with the scripting stuff. the more the better, but to be honest for where we are starting with this project the only thing I still find myself wanting is control over IR and LC's Mode panel. This way I can automate Animation into a simple point and click builder. I guess would also like to have "Don't render final image" available as well, but it's all good. We should have a working version of our simple interface for matrix done in a month or so from now and begin testing it. I hope that it will take some of complexity of out rendering for some of the jewelry crowd. Thanks for the help Damien, always a pleasure.

Comment

Working...
                  X