DR Servers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DR Servers

Not sure if I should classify this as a wish or a bug but I can't assign a name to the render slaves in DR setup. My server list for DR shows the "Server Name" as the IP Address. It would be awesome to use what looks like the intended functionality.

Sorry if this has been covered. I did a search in the forums and came up cold.

Mark

Re: DR Servers

Originally posted by Markvanhandel
    Not sure if I should classify this as a wish or a bug but I can't assign a name to the render slaves in DR setup. My server list for DR shows the "Server Name" as the IP Address. It would be awesome to use what looks like the intended functionality.
    That part of the UI is for providing the name of the computer you wish to connect to. So it is not really meant to apply a name to a DR server - it is meant to identify a computer to use in the DR process. So if your servers name is "Server One" - you would identify it by either its name, "Server One", or by its ip address.

Best regards,
    Joe Bacigalupa
    Developer

Chaos Group

Comment

I see. But I still see an issue.

All of the computers we are using in my department only come up in the DR pop-up window named with the IP address (like I said before) and I have 5 computers that I can draw from for my DR. It is difficult to remember which address refers to which machine. And while I suppose I could pin up a note it would be nice to be able to go in and manually attach a name (like "Phil") to a machine in the DR pop-up.

Comment

I see - so the servers don't have human-readable computer names. Ok I see your point. It wouldn't be difficult to add another column to let you attach a name in our DR Server dialog - however, V-Ray uses the computer name to tag the buckets. So the render buckets would still just be an ip or whatever the hostname of that server resolves to. So I'm not sure if that would be helpful enough for you? Or would the names in the server dialog be enough?
        Best regards,
        Joe Bacigalupa
        Developer

Chaos Group

Comment

Yes, adding that column would be very helpful even if the buckets were labeled by IP address. So long as I know that Phil's computer is available but Corin's is not and I can specify them that way on the list I would be fine.

Thanks!

Comment

... something like this could be nice.

http://www.spot3d.com/vray/help/150R..._rendering.htm

www.simulacrum.de - visualization for designer and architects

Comment

That is the same dialog we have right now - or am I missing something? You can refer to the servers by name already - what the poster was saying is that his server's have no human-readable name. So he has to refer to them by ip address
              Best regards,
              Joe Bacigalupa
              Developer

Chaos Group

Comment

Ahh, I see, and I was fighting with IP numbers here.
                www.simulacrum.de - visualization for designer and architects

Comment

Originally posted by Micha
                  Ahh, I see, and I was fighting with IP numbers here.
                  Heh - you can use anything that will resolve to an IP number. So that would be an IP number or a computer name / host name
                  Best regards,
                  Joe Bacigalupa
                  Developer

Chaos Group

Comment

Working...
                  X