Dump color swatches! Use other input with an explanation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dump color swatches! Use other input with an explanation

OK, this is not for every material setting, just the settings that have no business being expressed as shades of black and white -- such as reflectivity or transparency. I've been doing 3D for 15 years and STILL cannot remember if white is maximum for reflectivity or black is minimum for transparency. Color swatches should be used for colors, not for arbitrary numeric values.

This first image shows how I have modified the Reflection and Diffuse Transparency settings to
    (1) Eliminate the color swatch
    (2) Add a defined 0.0 to 1.0 numeric input range and
    (3) Provide a nearby explanation.

---
    and the current interface for comparison
    ---

Re: Dump color swatches! Use numeric input with an explanation

Sorry Dave, but this is not where we're going. Although these are good suggestions, its too "timid" and still doesn't help as much as it could. Just a slider with a label on each end does much more, is much clearer, more intuitive, and just as useful for beginners and advanced users alike.

A lot of the new interface as already been graphically mocked up, its just that there's no implementation behind it. Pretty soon we'll begin to start the actual leg work and get some examples posted for all of you guys to see. Its been a long time coming, and I've been sitting on it for quite a while (some of the initial mockups were done more than a year ago), but I'm looking forward to posting a teaser screenshot.
    Damien Alomar<br />Generally Cool Dude

Comment

Sounds promising!

Dude, as long as you get rid of 'color-swatches-for-values' I love it. The 'slider-with-labels' is an excellent solution to the current confusion.

I actually was going to suggest sliders, but then I assumed you'd prefer to stick with the current 'numeric box' you were already using. So, hey, good news and thanks!

Comment

Re: Dump color swatches! Use other input with an explanation

When we first started discussing some of the interface changes I was a little reluctant to start ditching some of the more "technical" aspects of the interface. As I did a few mock ups, and talked more to all of you guys about it I came to embrace it more. I don't think things are going to show up as "glitzy" as some interfaces out there, but it will be clearer, easier to use, and more intuitive...That's the stuff that really matters.
        Damien Alomar<br />Generally Cool Dude

Comment

Re: Dump color swatches! Use other input with an explanation

why don't you use both color switches and sliders simoultaneously

Comment

Working...
          X