• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soft edges per Vray material?

Hi,

today I read here:

http://www.chaosgroup.com/forums/vbu...ad.php?t=44623

that Vray allow to round edges per bump map material like Mental Ray. Is it true? Could we get it for VfR too? Sounds so great and could work better than the Rhino soft edgening plugin.
    www.simulacrum.de - visualization for designer and architects

Re: Soft edges per Vray material?

Yes very useful: VRayEdgesTex

Comment

All of the V-Ray textures and material types will be added. I'm not sure how exactly the VRayEdgeTex will function, but when put in a bump slot that does round edges.
      Damien Alomar<br />Generally Cool Dude

Comment

Great, that will help a lot here.

Comment

... and a very big advantage could be, this could work for meshes too!

I will count the days until this feature will be available.

Comment

Is this related?

I asked this question before but is has been a long time. Will this feature work similarly to the Rhino plug-in called Edge Softening? I never got it to work and was told it was to a V-Ray / Rhino interaction-limitation.

http://en.wiki.mcneel.com/default.as...Softening.html

Comment

It is related because its the same outcome that they're looking for. That's through Rhino and what they're asking for is solely through V-Ray. When the next version comes around both should be ready to go, so you can pick and choose which way you want to get the same result.

Comment

So V-Ray will fake rounded edges for edges that's in reality sharp? Will that be doable in SU as well? Considering SU's poor ability to handle large amount of geometry, as well as not dealing with really small faces that's be amazing.
                Please mention what V-Ray and SketchUp version you are using when posting questions.

Comment

Soft Edges, coming &quot;soon&quot;

This is a little confusing, but I guess that edge softening works with the built-in Rhino Renderer -- but NOT with 3rd parties like V-Ray until the next version of Rhino (v 5.0) comes out. Do I have that right?

Comment

Thomas...yes, but I don't know the specifics since I haven't really used this texture (its a relatively recent addition to VfMax)...check out the spot3d page for more

http://www.spot3d.com/vray/help/150R...tex_params.htm

Dave...the edge softening plugin is an RDK based plugin. Since we currently do not fully support RDK (only parts) we are not able to use this directly (you can extract the meshes though). In the next version we will officially become an "RDK compiant render". AFAIK the rhino renderer does not support these RDK plugins. The only ones right now are Brazil and Fry.

Comment

Working...
                    X