spot lights defaults

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• spot lights defaults

it would be great if spot light defaults (when you make a new spot light) were the same as point lights. especially setting decay to inverse square (and penumbra falloff to smooth cubic)

speaking of which, why is "linear" decay called that? "no decay" - such as used on rectangular lights - is much easier to understand. "inverse" decay is linear, after all.

just my 2 cents =)
    emil mertzel
    vray4rhinoWiki

Lookinglass Architecture and Design

Hi,

Setting the Spot light to "inverse square" requires huge intensity values to be used.
    Could you provide more details about this request. Is there any specific reason to change this?
    Tashko Zashev | chaos.com
    Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

I want the lights to have natural decay, just like point lights. I always set them this way. Am I the only one? Does everyone else use linear? It feels too harsh. I don't recall the values getting so high but ill double check. But it's just a number, why should it matter?
      emil mertzel
      vray4rhinoWiki

Comment

yes, you're right of course, the intensity is much more, i forgot. but other than being a bigger number, i experience no downside, same render time, and the light looks much more natural.

so here is a spotlight, linear decay, intensity = 1.0:

Click image for larger version

Name:	spot linear 1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	3.9 KB
ID:	849753

and here's the same spotlight, inverse square decay, intensity = 10,000.0:

Click image for larger version

Name:	spot insq 10k.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	3.9 KB
ID:	849754

so am i doing this wrong? is this not preferred? is there a hidden downside? it looks much better to me. i guess you can add to my wish having a smaller multiplier.

i know that IES lights will help with the illumination on the wall. but notice the spot on the floor is also much better, and you can't control the size of the cone with an IES without picking a different file. if you want to fine tune it, you can't.

thanks
        emil mertzel
        vray4rhinoWiki

Comment

Thank you for your details and examples.
          We will consider this with our 3D team and let you know the decision.
          Tashko Zashev | chaos.com
          Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Thank you very much!
            emil mertzel
            vray4rhinoWiki

Comment

Working...
            X