Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proxies not working properly

Hi everyone, and thanks in advance.

I'm using a proxy of a chair that had a lot of polygons (and I have about 600 chairs in the model, so it seemed like a good idea to make a proxy out of it so Sketchup runs more smoothly).

Now my problem is: yesterday the render worked fine, but today the colour of the chairs is wrong everytime I render.

Is this a known issue? Am I doing something wrong?

Thank you!

how did you make the proxy? what version of vray are you running? in what format is the raw mesh in (obj/fbx/skp/etc)?

Comment

I'm on Sketchup pro '19 and Vray Next. The raw mesh is in skp I think, I'd swear I got it from the 3D warehouse, but I'd have to check.

For making the proxy I just clicked on 'export proxy' while I had the group selected, and turned on the option of substituting the object with the proxy.

Comment

So dating back to even vray 2 (i think), the vrmesh kinda likes to have a "container" for the mats to work in and be kept in. So basically, the structure would go like this.

Model.skp > container.skp (with vrmesh component and multimat) > vrmesh component.skp

So in your case, if you made a proxy from a download model, save that skp file out and then import that skp into whatever file your master is (file/import/skp) and it should work. I know this isn't very clear, im' struggling to explain it properly.

Comment

ALSO - make sure you don't use material purge or any native skp purge functions, they will remove the multimat materials that are applied to your proxy because they don't see them as being "used"

Comment

I've been having all sorts of proxy issues lately and would often have to repath materials I had just loaded as part of a proxy, for them to work. Then just a moment ago I finally took a look at the cache folder where vray stashes its working textures. I quit out of sketchup and erased the contents. The first time I loaded the proxy and hit render it worked properly. Finally!

There does seem to be an issue though (some people use the term "bug" ), with loading similar objects that share material names.
            e.g. Some plants (hedges) which are different shapes, but use the same material names for all their constituent parts. When I load a proxy that does share names, it will rename things with a leaf2, stem2... (normal behavior), but it doesn't recreate the material *type* of the multi-material, as it does for the first load. Instead it makes that top-of-the-stack item a regular material instead.

Comment

Thanks everyone!

Originally posted by delineator View Post
              ALSO - make sure you don't use material purge or any native skp purge functions, they will remove the multimat materials that are applied to your proxy because they don't see them as being "used"
              I had already tried saving the model as .skp and then making the proxy again but I had the same results. I haven't actively used any material purge....

Comment

Originally posted by Brett View Post
                I've been having all sorts of proxy issues lately and would often have to repath materials I had just loaded as part of a proxy, for them to work. Then just a moment ago I finally took a look at the cache folder where vray stashes its working textures. I quit out of sketchup and erased the contents. The first time I loaded the proxy and hit render it worked properly. Finally!

There does seem to be an issue though (some people use the term "bug" ), with loading similar objects that share material names.
                e.g. Some plants (hedges) which are different shapes, but use the same material names for all their constituent parts. When I load a proxy that does share names, it will rename things with a leaf2, stem2... (normal behavior), but it doesn't recreate the material *type* of the multi-material, as it does for the first load. Instead it makes that top-of-the-stack item a regular material instead.
                Thanks a lot, gonna try this!

Any clue where could I find that folder where vray stashes its owrking textures? Thanks in advance!

Comment

Originally posted by SergioAV View Post

Any clue where could I find that folder where vray stashes its owrking textures? Thanks in advance!
                  C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Chaos Group\V-Ray for SketchUp\cache on my PC. Mac mileage will vary.
                  Last edited by Brett; 11-11-2019, 07:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SergioAV View Post

C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Chaos Group\V-Ray for SketchUp\cache on my PC. Mac mileage will vary.

Comment

Working...
                    X