Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone else having issues with Clippers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone else having issues with Clippers?

I have a clipper to set to 'Affect Camera Rays Only' and it's doing weird things.
    Matthew Valero, ASAI

Hello ValeroStudio

Please make sure that the following does not apply to the objects in the scene, which exhibit this behavior: "V-Ray Clipper works best with "closed" objects. The results on open objects (without a corresponding back face) are not well defined."
    This was taken directly from the "Notes" section of the following page of our documentation: https://docs.chaosgroup.com/display/VNFS/Clipper
    Zahari Ivanov | chaos.com
    Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Is this also the case when using a section plane to clip the camera?
      Matthew Valero, ASAI

Comment

I do think there is some kind of issue though. It looks like its cutting things that are not even there to cut.
        Attached Files
        Matthew Valero, ASAI

Comment

I'm having the exact same problem with Clipper

Comment

Hi Matthew,

The V-Ray clipper is a ray-traced effect.
            It does not cut or modify the actual scene geometry but rather uses shading approach to make parts of the scene invisible.
            This applies to both mesh clippers and section planes.

Parts of the objects are made transparent during render time.
            This stage of the internal process is relatively stable and rarely causes issues.

Closing the cut parts on the other hand is more challenging when doing it in a shader.
            This is in fact the root cause of all the issues you're experiencing.

Try disabling the Use Object Material option of the clipper and see if that helps.
            If it does, this means the caps of the cut parts are incorrect which points exactly to what Zahari wrote.

Can you please also send us the scene for further investigation?

Regards,
            Konstantin

Comment

Unchecking "use object material" option solved the issue in my work..

Comment

Related to another post I created a couple of days ago, any having issues using batch render with scenes that use clippers?
                Matthew Valero, ASAI

Comment

ValeroStudio

This issue is reproducible with our internal builds and the dev team has been notified. As soon as there is any feedback, I will post an update in the respective thread.

Thank you for bring this to our attention!

Comment

Working...
                  X