Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VRscene import/export lights issue

Hi All

I would like to get help with exporting a vrscene from 3ds max or sketchup without exporting the vray sun or specific lights in the scene along with it. The reason i would like to do this is because my sketchup model/scene already has a lighting sytem in place( HDRI or vray sun) and when importing a vrscene using the "Extensions>Vray>vray objects>Import vray scene" option, the model is imported with lights and the duplication/additional ruins my lighting setup. I know you can deselect the lights when importing vrscene in skecthup when using the "file>import dialogue" but when importing textured geometry from 3ds max using "file>import dialogue" , the file has a high tendency to lose the textures from 3ds max hence its better to work with "Extensions>Vray>vray objects>Import vray scene" option.

Thats why i am looking for away to export a vrscene in 3dsmax or sketchup without the lights attached to it. Any one with an idea

Hello denmuk

I would like to suggest a workflow, which includes a small extra step between the transition from 3ds Max to SketchUp. Please see the 3 screenshots that I have attached for reference.

- In the ".vrscene export" window, enable the "Separate Files" option. This will create separate files for Geometry, Materials, Lights, etc.
    - As shown in the screenshot, aside from the file designated for each type of component, there will be a main file. In our case this is "scene.vrscene". Open it with Notepad (or any other text application).
    - In the last screenshot you will see the code within the .vrscene file. This is the extra step I mentioned earlier and it is quite simple - scroll to the bottom of the file and change the "#" symbol at the start of the line for the "_lights.vrscene" to "//".

You are now ready to load the main "scene.vrscene" file in SketchUp. Please let me know if everything worked as you expected and if the result was satisfying.
    Attached Files
    Zahari Ivanov | chaos.com
    Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Hello denmuk

I would like to share one additional piece of information - this functionality will be included in the upcoming update for V-Ray Next for SketchUp (Update 2), which would make such operations much more intuitive.

Comment

Hie Zahari.Ivanov

Thank you for the feedback. Let me give this a test run ad will update you on the result. Thats pretty awsome. Am looking forward to the update 2. Hopefully this will now solve the challenge of sharing assets between 3ds max and sketchup. vrscenes seem like the most likey "lightweight way" of sharing the assests as 3ds max assets have geometry that can severly slow down sketchup

Comment

Hello denmuk

Thank you for the update! Please let me know how your testing went and if you need any additional information or assistance.

One of our goals at Chaos Group is to improve the interoperability between the different host applications through all sorts of "quality of life" tools and functions and I hope that Update 2 will build upon this and meet your expectations.

Comment

HelloZahari.Ivanov ....

The work around worked perfectly..... It worked as i hoped. I cant wait to have this in the vray next 1.2 update for sketchup. so my guess is that in the update...... when using "Extensions>Vray>vray objects>Import vray scene" there will be an option to not import lights just like in the "file>import dialogue" in sketchup!!

Regards

Comment

Hi Zahari.Ivanov

I just was going through the vray next for sketchup interface and i realised there is a switch for lights to be turned off after a vrscene ( that has lights) has been imported into sketchup . When the vrscence is imported into your model, it will show up under geometries and when you select it, options pertaining to that vrscene appear on the right hand side. The lights that may be present in the model can be switched off with the lights radio button..

See image below. Hope this helps somebody out there. I dont know how i missed this earier.. The work around was still valuable knowledge too.

Comment

Hi denmuk

This is absolutely correct. A mistake on my side is that I misunderstood your initial question. What I thought was that you wanted to avoid exporting/importing the lights at all.
                I can confirm that disabling the Lights from the VRscene's parameters in the V-Ray Asset Editor is an entirely viable solution to remove their effect.

Comment

Zahari.Ivanov

You undestood the question well.... the only reason i wanted to circumvent tthe lights being exported in 3ds max was because i didnt know there is a way to switch them off in sketchup.

Thanks again... I am already exploring update 2 for sketchup

Comment

Working...
                  X