Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Slow start of new Vray Next Build and very slow response of material viewport in Vray when changing materials

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slow start of new Vray Next Build and very slow response of material viewport in Vray when changing materials

I have installed the newest Vray Next build 4.20.02 V-Ray NeUI Version: 3.4.0 Build: 139597 Hash: 6297179c3 Date: Apr 27 2020, have the latest Nvidia Studio drivers /442.92/.
    And when I hit the Vray Asset editor icon...it tkaes about 60 seconds to launch...when Im switching in editor from one material to another it takes 30-60 seconds to see the "rendered view" of material in the top right prievew vwindow...
    the com setup: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 32GB RAM, SSD disk, Nvidia RTX 2060 6GB...
    Can you help? What am I doing wrong?
    thanks

Hi toman,

What kind of scene are you testing with?
    We have seen slow downs like the one described but only in extremely heavy (in terms of materials count) scenes.

Also, have you experienced the same before upgrading to update 2.1?

Konstantin

Comment

Hi Konstantin
      It was interior scene. Theere were not alot of materials, but some of the bitmaps had "tweak layers-HSU and so" and I think thats the problem.
      I didnt realize that it might be a problem of a scene...then I opened one heavy /in terms of polygonal count scene/-aquapark with surrounding and trees etc...and no problem with "slow" Vray...so my fault...
      If you want I can send you the problematic scene...

No I didnt have this experience with 2.1 build...
      thanks for help.

Comment

Hi toman,

The texture color corrections shouldn't be a problem...
        Please do share the scene causing the slowdown.
        I'll test it asap and let you know what the problem is.

Regards,
        Konstantin

Comment

Dear Konstantin...thanks very much for your effort.
          The file was too big to upload here, so I put it on my onedrive...here is the link
          https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ah579Ip8WFpMg4JU...gilag?e=cuezXH
          hope this not problem.
          If you want to test it, just open asset editor-materials and try to switch between veneer and desk top material...it will on my comtuper after few clicks betweeen this two...also between others...but here is more significant

Comment

Hi toman,

I tested the scene you shared and it works flawlessly on my system.
            The Asset Editor appears right away and the swatch previews are quite responsive.
            As a whole the scene is not that heavy.

This makes me think that the slowdown you're experiencing has something to do with the license server.
            Can you try and borrow your license to see if that helps.
            Here's a detailed description on how to do it:
            https://docs.chaosgroup.com/display/...or+Offline+Use

I'll continue using the scene to see if any issues arise.
            Thank you for sharing the project.

Konstantin

Comment

Hi Konstantin...thanks for tip...well I have tried and it did not work...I think its somethink in my computer...I guess the graphic card...maybe RTX 2060 6GB is not the strongest solution...or its just driver fighting with some other driver or so...I have finished this project and do not have the same issues in other projects, so its not "that hot" anyway thanks very much for your effort, kindnes, support and so on.

Comment

Hi toman,

The GPU is not causing the issue - both the Asset Editor materials list and the Material Swatch don't care about the graphic card much.
                Also, the 2060 is quite a good card.

Another thing I noticed is that your project was saved with SU version older than 2020.
                In previews versions SU had this issue with the Outliner panel / window.
                If you have it open it slows everything down.
                I'd try closing the Outliner or collapsing it and saving the .skp file like that.
                This might help when you re-open the model.
                The Outliner was also causing slowdowns when you start rendering.

There are a couple of other suggestions for you in terms of scene setup (not related to the issue):

- You can experiment with CUDA rendering as I've suggested here:
                https://forums.chaosgroup.com/forum/...ond-nvidia-gpu

- Remove the texture resizing.
                Navigate to the Render Parameters (on the right) / GPU Textures roll-out and change the Resize option to either fill size or on-demand mipmapping.
                This option was enabled by default back in the day to prevent insufficient memory issues.
                Note that the on-demand option is the default in the last update.

- Use a Dome light.
                When you have the V-Ray Sky in the environment (similar to the default setup) you are relying 100% on the Global Illumination rays to sample the environment and bring light in the closed space.
                This is quite an intensive calculation and requires a lot of GI rays to be traced in the set for high quality results.
                What you can do to help V-Ray is add a Dome light in the scene.
                Place it anywhere and change its shape to Sphere.
                Copy the Environment Sky texture and paste it as an instance in the Dome Texture slot.
                A similar workflow is used in this video tutorial:
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlGIEtRM99I

Hope that helps,
                Konstantin

Comment

Hi Konstantin, thanks a lot...I will try all your suggestions...well I didn't upgrade to sketchup 2020 cause I thought there are only minor updates...but think about it again...thanks

Comment

Working...
                  X