Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vray Next for Sketchup 2019 - Image Bitmap Texture Colour Error - Emissive Texture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vray Next for Sketchup 2019 - Image Bitmap Texture Colour Error - Emissive Texture

Hope someone can help with this issue
    Image imported to Sketchup as Texture - Color immediately changes - becomes a Duo Tone type look - see ref -
    The issue seems to be caused Sketchup and Vray plugin interaction rather than just Sketchup itself
    I was making a TV screen with emissive image texture
    if u reload the texture in the sketchup material editor it will temporarily be fixed to include the full colour - but will then revert back to duo tone
    also it will revert to duo tone when I add an emissive layer and copy paste the texture from the diffuse slot to the colour slot of emissive layer - see ref - seems to also change to the bad due tone if you load the texture separately into the emissive colour slot
    is this a colour space issue ? is there a mapping issue here ?Click image for larger version

Name:	Image Texture Colour Error.jpg
Views:	1518
Size:	1.86 MB
ID:	1074225
    I tired various file types and colour bit depths for the texture image but still error occurs
    I tired the work around I found online to UNDO 2 times after appying the texture onto surface sketchup - and this works to fix the colour but only temporarily - it will change again to the duo tone colour at some point - very frustrating
    can someone please explain to me what is happening here and how to fix - I can post models and textures if need be
    also can someone speak a bit to how to change the colour profile in Vray next for sketchup or link me to any documents that might help understanding colour profile management
    thank you very much for your help

Hi @GDecker
    SketchUp applies а specified Hue to the texture, which is why you are seeing your texture colorized in the viewport. To change how this is seen in the SketchUp viewport, go to Window > Materials > select your Emissive material > Reset Color, as indicated here.

Note that V-Ray Next now supports colorized textures and the option (in respect to rendering) can be enabled/disabled from Extensions > V-Ray > Tools > Colorize Textures (as indicated here). Try rendering it again and let me know if that helps.
    Last edited by nikoleta.garkova; 12-06-2020, 05:50 AM.
    Nikoleta Garkova | chaos.com

Comment

Thank you for your assistance with this issue
      Colorizing the texture as it is imported is not native behavior for sketchup so I believe it is an interaction with Vray plugin
      The Rest Color option u had indicated is the same as what I had mentioned in my original post - this color reset does not seem to hold - briefly the proper color is shown and then immediately reverts to colorized version
      enabling the Vray tool Colorize Textures does not seem to solve the issue for me - same behavior persists
      The only thing that seems to work is UNDO twice after inputting texture - this is an odd type of work around of course
      Also I see different behavior from Vray Interactive render - sometimes it will render the colorized version and sometimes the proper color version - see the ref here where the Vray asset editor is showing the proper color but is still rendering the incorrect colorized version
      All in all the behavior seems a bit buggy - and the Colorize Textures Tool did not seem to to work for me
      Will look forward to any further understanding that u can assess for what is happening here

PS My apologies for the incorrect formatting of my original post
      Attached Files

Comment

Hi GDecker,

Thank you for the detailed explanation. Can you clarify a couple of other things:
        1. Which V-Ray/SketchUp version are you using? Please make sure to update to the latest V-Ray for SketchUp version 4.20.02.
        2. Are you using any additional 3rd party plugins? If so, you could try disabling them to test if the issue still persists.
        In case there is no improvement, it might be best to arrange a TeamViewer session so we can investigate further.

Comment

Thank you for your continued support

1. Yes I am running Vray 4.20.02 - Sketchup 2019

2. Yes, I do have many installed 3rd party plugins. Finding the conflict through the process of elimination by disabling plugins can be a pretty time consuming task of course. Is there a list of plugins that have known conflicts that perhaps you can direct me to ?
          I will examine behavior with all plugins disabled and do what I can in this regard.

Beyond this for future reference, is a team viewer session simply arranged through contacting technical support from the main web site ?

Thank you again for your assistance Nikoleta
          Greg

Comment

Thank you for the clarifications - let me know if disabling the plugins helped.

In case it didn't - to arrange a TeamViewer session, you will need to contact support@chaosgroup.com and mention this thread in the e-mail.

Comment

Will do
              I wanted to re iterate for anyone else having this problem, beyond what may be the proper solution, the work around of doing an UNDO ( the action being undone shows as 'Update Vray material') does seem to fix the problem - u have to UNDO twice in a row for this to work - and also the fix may not persist but can be corrected again by the same UNDO process
              hope this helps other users
              I will follow up here, again to help other users, if and when learn more
              Thank you community and Vray Support and Nikoleta

Comment

I ran into the same problem on windows, also running tons of other plugins in SketchUp. Last time I ran into the problem, I managed to fix it by re-installing laubwerk. However, now I am running into the same problem again after importing a component that has once been optimized for v-ray 2 for sketchup, with corresponding gamma corrections.
                The strange thing is, that the behaviour that is being erroneously executed, is the 'colorize textures' function that is native to SketchUp, but which had never worked according to the documented behaviour before on my system: I only ever saw sketchup doing color_shift, never color_tint
                Documentation:
                https://forums.sketchup.com/t/how-do...-work/51168/15
                (check Thomthom's post, it is quite clear in it's workings with respect to color_shift and color_tint)

For fixing the problem today, I un-checked "Colorize" in the SketchUp material editor, which had been on by default, while it's supposed to be off:
                Now careful if you apply any color corrections in SketchUp: as long as the 'colorize' checkbox is off, you're fine. But if you click 'reset color' right beneath 'colorize textures', it will automatically check the colorize checkbox again. So go ahead and uncheck it and it's fixed again. Instead if you want to reset any changes you made to the color in SketchUp, use the reset color button at the top (between 'picker: HLS' and the pipettes).

Of course GDecker is working on Mac, so it might be different for him since the SketchUp material editor is vastly different on Mac.

Click image for larger version

Name:	un colorize.png
Views:	1049
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	1075017

Hope you all can get something useful out of this long story...

Comment

Thank Marthamaatkamp
                  I also have Laubwerk installed - I will try to reinstall it as u suggest and see if that helps
                  I appreciate the info from Thom Thom but its a bit beyond me to implement a solution from it
                  The Mac Material Editor is much worse I would say than the one from Windows - has always seemed to be missing some functionality - and it does not include the colourize check box - I don't see colourize texture in any of the other preferences
                  To be clear, I wasnt trying to make any colour corrections in the sketchup Material editor - the colour was just changing by itself upon import or later upon application of texture in the emissive bitmap slot
                  thank for the info
                  gd

Comment

For fixing the problem today, I un-checked "Colorize" in the SketchUp material editor, which had been on by default, while it's supposed to be off...
                    Hi guys,

The quoted statement is exactly right.
                    This is a bug that we have to resolve.
                    It was somehow introduced with the recent introduction of the 'colorization' support.

I'll let you know when a fix is available.
                    Konstantin

Comment

Thank you Konstantin
                      to note again also here that the Mac OS version of the sketchup Material editor does not have this check box for colorize and I did not see a correction of the buggy behavior through the use of the Colorize Texutres Vray Tool in the Vray plugins menu
                      thanks again for your support

Comment

Guys this issue is addressed in the latest release:
                        https://forums.chaosgroup.com/forum/...-now-available

Colorize no longer is force enabled by V-Ray.

Comment

That's great - thank you - hopefully then our comments here helped out a little - that's nice to think
                          Greg

Comment

Working...
                          X