Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Equirectangular Panorama Render Changes Dimensions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Equirectangular Panorama Render Changes Dimensions?

Hi all,

Vray 4.20.02
    Sketchup Pro 20.2.172

I am experiencing a weird issue when executing renders of VR Spherical Panoramas from Sketchup Pro. It is happening on both single and batch exports. Exporting in standard image formats appears normal.

These outputs need to be in an exact equirectangular ratio of 2:1 to work with other software, however despite setting the render output to 6000 x 3000, when the render starts it changes the pixel size to 5527 x 3000. if I try 12000, it changes to 11054 x 6000 so the incorrect proportion is consistent at 92.11...% of width. [???]

When watching the progress window it seems to happen at the exporting textures / building geometry stage. I have recently added 20 x 50k 3D files (OBJ via transmutr) to the model in which there are already hundreds of paintings so all of that stress on the system may be an issue generally. I did take a screen capture but it's too large to attach, hence the screenshot

Anything other than a strict 2:1 aspect ratio will break my 360 image of course and I have a substantial (120 panorama) virtual exhibition to export soon so this is a serious problem.

It seems to be relatively recent phenomenon, so it is possible that I have changed some setting or other that has caused it but for now I am stumped.

Many thanks for your experience and help

Paul

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot 2020-09-16 130353.jpg Views:	0 Size:	140.1 KB ID:	1084257

Attached Files

Hi MarshallArtsMedia, does this happen with every project? If it is only occurring in a particular project, is it possible to forward it to support@chaosgroup.com so we can investigate further? Mention this forum thread in the email.
    Nikoleta Garkova | chaos.com

Comment

Hi Nikoleta,

I have only experienced it on this project. This is the largest project I have attempted and I am using new media in the form of 3D imports via transmutr so the machine is handling a lot more processing than my normal. I only built my machine a few months ago with this job in mind and it should be capable of this I believe: Ryzen 9 3900x, Pallit 2070 rtx, 32gb ram M2 SSD.

However... since I posted the issue, I ran some more tests and it seemed only the 360 panos had this strange % change no matter what width.

When I ran a spherical panorama in interactive render mode however, it retained its proper proportions. Ever since that point. All renders I have tried have not displayed the strange resizing any further and export as desired.

The file, software and the machine had been closed and opened several times during the course that this had all been happening but I can't recall the last time I ran an interactive 360 render - I usually check the model in standard format and then switch to 360 for batch file export.

Anyway. the problem appears to be gone for now and I am no longer able to replicate it. Weird...

Thank you for your fast response.

Paul

Comment

Just to update this thread for anyone following later...

I experienced this weird resizing phenomenon once again on all stereo renders a few hours after my previous reports.

This time simply selecting interactive did not clear it. I had to switch to standard view, then to interactive and then it seems to work ok after that. Hope this helps anyone experiencing similar

100 draft panos are rendering now @ 6k x 3k

Thanks

P

Comment

Do you have observations on when does it occur? Is it happening on the same project still? Any help to reproduce this will be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Hi Nikoleta

Yes it is the same project again.

I cannot yet identify specific elements of my workflow or timing at which it changes. I do know that after it seemed to be working the first time, I made some minor changes to the model. I would have saved it a few times and I may even have rebooted after a freeze. I don't recall exactly. Freezes are fairly common if I am previewing this model in VRay when adjusting lights for example in sketchup.

I am happy to share the file with Vray support under NDA terms if needed. It is large 2.4GB.

Thank you

P

Comment

Would it be possible to contact support@chaosgroup.com (make sure to mention this thread in the email) so we can arrange the NDA and you can send us the project. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
              X