Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Import .vrscene

Hi,

the "Import .vrscene" function from the File menu of Sketchup PRO 2021 with VRay 5 for Sketchup seems not to work.

I have absolutely no objects that import into the scene.

What's going on ?

EDIT : it works with Sketchup Pro 2020 and VRay 5 for Sketchup.
    Last edited by DCHA34; 22-01-2021, 09:15 AM.
    Windows 10 - RTX 3090 - AMD Ryzen 9 5950X - 128 Go RAM
    Sketchup PRO 23.0.419 + V-Ray 6.20.02
    3DS Max 2024.2.1 + V-Ray 6.20.06
    Chaos Vantage 2.3.0
    GeForce Studio Ready Driver Version 546.01​

Hi DCHA34
    We are aware that the import from File > Import is currently not functioning as expected and is only related to SketchUp 2021. For the time being, please use the option from Extensions > V-Ray > V-Ray Objects > Import Proxy or V-Ray Scene. We'll let you know when there are any updates on the matter, thanks!
    Nikoleta Garkova | chaos.com

Comment

Hi,

This issue has been logged as SK-3262 and is already resolved.
      The next version we release will successfully import vrscenes in SU 2021.

Konstantin

Comment

Hi,

what good news!

We just have to wait for the new version to be released.
        Chaos Vantage 2.3.0

Comment

Originally posted by nikoleta.garkova View Post
          Hi DCHA34
          We are aware that the import from File > Import is currently not functioning as expected and is only related to SketchUp 2021. For the time being, please use the option from Extensions > V-Ray > V-Ray Objects > Import Proxy or V-Ray Scene. We'll let you know when there are any updates on the matter, thanks!
          This workaround doesn't work. File > Import used to import the .vrscene geometry and textures as sketchup objects NOT a vrscene proxy object. The menu extension you provided brings in the vrscene correctly as a proxy object.

How can we get back the olf vrscene import function?

Comment

Hi guys,

V-Ray 5 for SketchUp, update 1 has been released.
            The issues with the importer should be fixed now.
            Please give it a try and let me know if you are still experiencing issues.

Konstantin

Comment

Hi,
              i just tested it, it works well.
              But, can someone explain to me the difference in scale between the same .VRSCENE and the different import options.
              Scale factor = 2.54 (cm-->inches ?)
              On one side I have a 20m high building and on the other a 50m high building.
              Difficult in this case to know if when i use the import function VRSCENE from the icon, the scene is imported with the right scale or not.
              Attached Files
              Chaos Vantage 2.3.0

Comment

No one to answer me.
                Chaos Vantage 2.3.0

Comment

Hi DCHA34,

Let me try and explain the scaling logic:

Imagine you're modeling a 20m tall building in 3ds Max using a System Unit Scale of 1 Unit = 1m.
                  V-Ray stores the unit information in a similar way to 3ds max - On one hand you have the size of the object measured in Abstract Units and on the other you have a Meters Scale parameter that determines the physical size of each unit.
                  When you export your project to a vrscene, the building will be 20 units high and the Meters Scale will be set to 1.0 (1 Unit = 1m).

When you Import (File / Import) this vrscene in SU with the Scale Scene option enabled V-Ray will determine that the building is 20 units high and that 1 unit = 1m and will automatically convert the object size to inches (the default Su unit) 20m*39.3701inches = 787.402inches.
                  This way a correctly scaled building will be imported.

If you disable the Scale Scene option 20 inches high building will get imported (which is incorrect).
                  That is why I'd recommend you keep this option enabled.

The Additional Scale is just an additional factor in case you need it.
                  In the common case you should keep it at 1.

When you create a Proxy Scene reference the vrscene's Meters Scale parameter is always ignored and if you have not modeled in inches, the scale in SketchUp will be incorrect (same as Scale Scene = off).

I hope this explanation is not too confusing.
                  Please ask any further questions that you might have.

Konstantin

Comment

Hi,
                    thank you for this answer.

This means that if neither the modeling unit of the original model nor its original dimensions are known, we do not know if the model is imported at real scale. (import icon)

In my example, I loaded the scene from Chaos Webinar Adaptive Lights Office.

In my opinion, if I measure in meters, this scene is 2.54 times too large compared to reality. (For example, the bus shelter on the corner of the street is about 6.50m high. Hum!!!!)

So, if I import the model Building_A.vrscene via File/Import with the scale factor activated, the building is imported at the right real scale, i.e. about 20m high.
                    On the other hand, if I import it with the Imprt Vrscene icon, the building is 2.54 times too big compared to reality.

To summarize, if we import a .vrscene with the import icon, we are not sure that the imported model is scaled properly.

Why didn't you keep the scale parameter in the import .vrscene by icon function?

I hope you followed me.
                    Chaos Vantage 2.3.0

Comment

Working...
                    X