Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with displacement

Hi there,

I've been using Thea render professionally, and am considering moving over to Vray. I'm doing a simple test to get displacement working.
    I created a corner, grouped it, and then applied the displacement modifier to the group.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	1104406

I applied a brick material to the group. (I did not apply this directly to the faces, but only to the group as a whole.)

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	240.1 KB
ID:	1104408

I made sure displacement was switched on for this group and also turned on "Keep Continuity."
    I'm using RTX rendering (3090RTX GPU). I should mention I get the same problem on CPU and CUDA as well.

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	1104409

Here is the output:

Name:	10.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	1104410

I get this whether I'm using interactive or final render. CPU, CUDA and RTX all lack displacement.

What am I missing here?

[I reposted this from the "General" forum because it was mis-posted.]

Attached Files

Hi aiden_humphrey,

The Displacement modifier needs a separate texture to work.

Name:	displacement.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	346.3 KB
ID:	1104451
    The texture placement of the material applied to the object is respected by the displacement but the displacement texture itself is separate.
    Also note that the library material textures are not designed for displacement purposes and might produce suboptimal results.
    In the my example scene I've grabbed one of the scanned displacement texture from textures.com.

Regards,
    Konstantin

Comment

Thank you so much Konstantin!

Comment

Working...
      X