Vray Causing Bugsplats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vray Causing Bugsplats

Been getting numerous bugsplats and errors when creating or working with skp models for proxies. The models are from Vizmart. I run CCleaner and it finds errors such as cloop but I return and get either a busplat or a vrayneui error such as below.

Sketchup is stable when I disable Vray from SU Extension Manager.

Other times I'll find that sketchup.exe does not unload in task manager.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled Vray a couple of times and I also did a Sketchup repair with administrator privileges.

Also updated to recent Nvidia driver as well as the Intel chipset.

I'm also aware that sometimes other plugins can create conflicts.

Windows 10 Build 19044 -21H2
    Sketchup Pro 2022
    Vray 5.20.24

This is the error from CCleaner which gets fixed. I am still trying to put this all together:

Results of Validity Check.

The first edge use pointer for CLoop (38867) is not a CEdgeUse
    Loop 1 of CFace (37466) is an invalid inner loop - fixed

Last edited by gus_robatto; 24-02-2022, 06:23 PM.

Hi,

Does this happen with those files only or does this happen with all files(even brand new ones)?
    Can you please share an example so I can check it on my side?
    If that's Ok with you please use the Pack project function(Extensions > V-Ray > Pack Project) and send it via the 'request' link below
    http://support.chaos.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

Comment

Thanks Slavcho. This may take a while since there isn't one specific skp file involved.

I don't know if this helps but I was inserting some proxies and one of them caused this in a continuous loop inside the ruby console.

Edit: Restarted SU and repeated the task and there were no errors as shown below.

Error: #<NoMethodError: undefined method `[]' for nil:NilClass>
      C:/Program Files/Chaos Group/V-Ray/V-Ray for SketchUp/extension/ruby/live_scene/live_scene:311:in `interactive?'
      C:/Program Files/Chaos Group/V-Ray/V-Ray for SketchUp/extension/ruby/gui/commands:133:in `block in <module:GUI>'
      C:/Program Files/Chaos Group/V-Ray/V-Ray for SketchUp/extension/ruby/live_scene/live_scene:311:in `interactive?'
      C:/Program Files/Chaos Group/V-Ray/V-Ray for SketchUp/extension/ruby/gui/commands:234:in `block in <module:GUI>'
      C:/Program Files/Chaos Group/V-Ray/V-Ray for SketchUp/extension/ruby/gui/commands:133:in `block in <module:GUI>'
      C:/Program Files/Chaos Group/V-Ray/V-Ray for SketchUp/extension/ruby/gui/commands:234:in `block in <module:GUI>'
      Last edited by gus_robatto; 25-02-2022, 05:33 AM.

Comment

This is after shutting down Sketchup working on proxies. It's self explanatory.

Click image for larger version

Name:	NeUI.JPG
Views:	237
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	1141275
        Attached Files

Comment

Hi,

Thank you for the information!
          Can you please additionally share an example file(where the issue is reproducible) so I can investigate it on my side?

Comment

I spent a good part of the day using Thea Render without any problems and as soon as I started using Vray it's back to the same old problems including Sketchup not completely closing and having to go to Task Manager to shut down Sketchup. Including having almost 10 instances of NeUi that doesn't shut down along with Sketchup.

I also don't understand why Chaos Cosmos Browser Service and Chaos Runtime has to be constantly running in the background when I'm not using Sketchup/Vray. I've been using Sketchup for over 16 years and never had so many bugsplats as I've had since installing Vray. It shouldn't be this difficult.

It almost crashed while doing a Fredo Round Corner on 4 edges and 5 minutes later it crashed while inserting a simple omni light.
            Last edited by gus_robatto; 03-03-2022, 09:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gus_robatto View Post
              I spent a good part of the day using Thea Render without any problems and as soon as I started using Vray it's back to the same old problems including Sketchup not completely closing and having to go to Task Manager to shut down Sketchup. Including having almost 10 instances of NeUi that doesn't shut down along with Sketchup.

I also don't understand why Chaos Cosmos Browser Service and Chaos Runtime has to be constantly running in the background when I'm not using Sketchup/Vray. I've been using Sketchup for over 16 years and never had so many bugsplats as I've had since installing Vray. It shouldn't be this difficult.

It almost crashed while doing a Fredo Round Corner on 4 edges and 5 minutes later it crashed while inserting a simple omni light.
              I can't tell you how many times I've gotten bugsplats from SU/Vray. Like you, many crashes occur when I'm doing something innocuous or simple. I too have the same issue with the Cosmos Browser Service still running long after SU/Vray have been closed. There may be a solution to that, via going to the start menu, finding the ChaosGroup folder and clicking on Stop Chaos Cosmos Browser, which I haven't tried yet. That Cosmos Browser can eat up a lot of resources and I tend to believe its background operation may have something to do with the bugsplats. My typical unnecessary workarounds are to close SU/Vray between projects and reopen after 30 seconds to flush the memory and restart clean or just do a full reboot of the computer. I will say though that I don't believe Vray is totally at fault, and that bugsplats can still occur with just SU running. Vray is a very intense add-on and I have yet to see its equal, though with that said, its not without issues, some still unresolved after many years.

Comment

Please log in a request in the link below so we can arrange a remote session, so I can further investigate and provide support.
                https://support.chaos.com/hc/en-us/requests/new
                Please mention the thread topic somewhere in the description.

Comment

"Sketchup not completely closing and having to go to Task Manager to shut down Sketchup. Including having almost 10 instances of NeUi that doesn't shut down along with Sketchup."

I have exactly the same problem and that very often (too often even).
                  After, if it's Sketchup or V-Ray that is responsible I can't tell you, but I think it's more a problem on the Sketchup side that seems to be developed "with the feet".
                  I talked about this problem on the Sketchup forum and like all the problems mentioned on the Sketchup forum, it is always the user's fault but Sketchup is never questioned.
                  And as far as support is concerned, Sketchup support is pathetic compared to V-Ray support which is very efficient and responsive.

What I can say for sure is that the Sketchup/V-Ray combo is becoming less and less efficient during a working day. I enjoy V-Ray, but I have less and less confidence in Sketchup.
                  Windows 10 - RTX 3090 - AMD Ryzen 9 5950X - 128 Go RAM
                  Sketchup PRO 23.0.419 + V-Ray 6.20.02
                  3DS Max 2024.2.1 + V-Ray 6.20.06
                  Chaos Vantage 2.3.0
                  GeForce Studio Ready Driver Version 546.01​

Comment

Originally posted by DCHA34 View Post
                    "Sketchup not completely closing and having to go to Task Manager to shut down Sketchup. Including having almost 10 instances of NeUi that doesn't shut down along with Sketchup."

I have exactly the same problem and that very often (too often even).
                    After, if it's Sketchup or V-Ray that is responsible I can't tell you, but I think it's more a problem on the Sketchup side that seems to be developed "with the feet".
                    I talked about this problem on the Sketchup forum and like all the problems mentioned on the Sketchup forum, it is always the user's fault but Sketchup is never questioned.
                    And as far as support is concerned, Sketchup support is pathetic compared to V-Ray support which is very efficient and responsive.

What I can say for sure is that the Sketchup/V-Ray combo is becoming less and less efficient during a working day. I enjoy V-Ray, but I have less and less confidence in Sketchup.
                    Agreed that more often than not, questioning the stability of SU on the Trimble forums, is always met with the "user is the problem" answer, rather ignorantly I might add. Very frustrating, but considering that SU/Vray user percentages is low and support over there for both is very limited, it only makes sense to address it here, allow the Chaosgroup team to look into it and if need be, THEY can contact Trimble, if it is indeed an SU problem. Basic troubleshooting not withstanding, SU is capable of many things but integrating such a robust renderer like Vray is a challenge. I personally think that since Trimble won't integrate any real renderer into their software, that they need to keep their eyes and ears open for these 3rd party renderer developers and coordinating their efforts for more stability.

Comment

Hi all,

In order for our developers to fix those crashes, we need to investigate them and get to the root of the exact problem and report it.
                      There is a chance that some of the root causes are the same are not.
                      If you are experiencing crashes the information below would be super helpful.
                      - What Version(f.e 5.20.04 or V-Ray 5 update 2.3) of V-Ray are you using or even better please send a screenshot of the About V-Ray window(Extension > V-Ray > Help > About)?
                      - Does the crash happen with a specific file or does it happen with all files(even newly created ones)? If the issue occurs only with a specific project, could you please share the project with us so we can investigate it in our environment?
                      If this is alright, please use the Pack Project tool(Extensions > V-Ray > Pack Project) to make an archived copy of the project and send it to us via the link below.
                      - The V-Ray for SketchUp log file(if the crash is occurring after a render attempt) and the SketchUp crash log will also be helpful
                      vrayforsketchup.log file location:
                      Windows: C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Chaos Group\V-Ray for SketchUp
                      MacOS: Users/<username> .ChaosGroup/V-Ray\ for\ SketchUp
                      SketchUp crash log
                      Windows: C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Temp
                      MacOS: Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports

If you have a reliable way to reproduce the crash(specific steps taken f.e on the second render attempt it crashes). Please record a video so we can follow the steps taken so we can reproduce this on our end as well(this is way easier with debugging - on our end).
                      Upload all the needed files in the 'request link' below
                      https://support.chaos.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

Thank you all!

Comment

Working...
                      X