V-Ray & Sketchup - Alternating Errors: One for CPU One for GPU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V-Ray & Sketchup - Alternating Errors: One for CPU One for GPU

I have a file that renders fine with CPU engine. But when I switch it to CUDA or RTX (I have a 3080Ti) I get this error:
    Warning : Invalid hair geometry data detected on hair tree construction...

The render always then fails after a long delay with CUDA or RTX, sometimes crashing/freezing V-Ray. I can seem to render other files OK with CUDA or RTX so I suspect it's a problem with the file. I can make the issue go away by hiding the landscape geometry (which includes fur/grass) but I don't understand why it's ok with CPU (slow) but not GPU/CUDA. If I switch it to CPU, the landscape renders OK without the hair tree error. Any ideas?

I'm also getting an error in this file that I've not noticed before. Happens with CPU or GPU:
    "Warning : SU|Displacements|@/Chair AI 07 Leather/Displacement has no underlying mesh !"
    This error repeats about a dozen times but the scene does render eventually although I cannot tell whether the displacement map for the material is working.

Sketchup Pro 2022 (latest)
    V-Ray (latest)

Hi andy_smith,

Thanks for reporting this.

I have a file that renders fine with CPU engine. But when I switch it to CUDA or RTX (I have a 3080Ti) I get this error:
    Warning : Invalid hair geometry data detected on hair tree construction...

The render always then fails after a long delay with CUDA or RTX, sometimes crashing/freezing V-Ray. I can seem to render other files OK with CUDA or RTX so I suspect it's a problem with the file. I can make the issue go away by hiding the landscape geometry (which includes fur/grass) but I don't understand why it's ok with CPU (slow) but not GPU/CUDA. If I switch it to CPU, the landscape renders OK without the hair tree error. Any ideas?
    It would be best if you can share the project file for further investigation on our side.
    What I can tell right away is that a Fur mesh is causing this.
    We'll have to reproduce the error here to determine what exactly is going on.

I'm also getting an error in this file that I've not noticed before. Happens with CPU or GPU:
    "Warning : SU|Displacements|@/Chair AI 07 Leather/Displacement has no underlying mesh !"
    This error repeats about a dozen times but the scene does render eventually although I cannot tell whether the displacement map for the material is working.
    Do you have a displaced object that also has fur/grass on top?
    If so then that might be the root cause.
    I'll try to recreate your setup here but once again testing with your file would be ideal.

Regards,
    Konstantin

Comment

Working...
    X