Computer crashes every day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer crashes every day

I'm not sure what the problem is, but I'm experiencing a lot more crashes with Sketchup Pro 2022 + VRay than I did before when I had Sketchup Pro 2021 + VRay.

I'll have to reinstall Sketchup Pro 2021 to check.

One time Sketchup crashes, another time VRay windows don't display, etc... and this with any file.

I don't even want to initiate a support ticket with Sketchup if I'm told that the problem is with me and not with Sketchup, which is supposedly flawless (see the Sketchup forum where Sketchup is never questioned by Trimble).

I would have turned to Blender, but VRay for Blender seems dead.

But the one thing for sure is that it really becomes impossible to work properly.
    Last edited by DCHA34; 01-04-2022, 02:28 AM.
    Windows 10 - RTX 3090 - AMD Ryzen 9 5950X - 128 Go RAM
    Sketchup PRO 23.0.419 + V-Ray 6.20.02
    3DS Max 2024.2.1 + V-Ray 6.20.06
    Chaos Vantage 2.3.0
    GeForce Studio Ready Driver Version 546.01​

Hi,

Does this happen with a specific file or any?
    Can you recall what steps were taken right before the crash(so I can try to reproduce it on my end)?
    Are you using the CPU or the GPU(RTX/CUDA) engine?
    When the program crashes again please copy and send us the log files(you can upload them in the request link here: https://support.chaos.com/hc/en-us/requests/new)
    the SketchUp log files are located here: C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Temp - sort the files by date, make sure that the log file corresponds to the crash time.
    V-Ray log file is located here: C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Chaos Group\V-Ray for SketchUp.
    Make sure to copy the logs right after the crash occurs otherwise they might get overridden by other actions.

Comment

I was about to start my own post but thought I would just piggyback on this. I really wanted to use Vray for a project that was fairly complex, involved a good amount of hi-quality imported models, fairly complex lighting, and several large aquarium tanks where I wanted to capture the refractions of the water and glass. The client needed several 360s exported for a virtual tour. After a few days into this project, I had to bail on VRay and just go with Enscape, which resulted in less realism but it was way more dependable as far as being able to work quickly and without crashing. SketchUp was crashing and choking quite a bit and I couldn't even get draft renders out of it. I assume this is a SketchUp issue and not V-Ray but it makes me wonder what the limit is for working on complex projects in SketchUp.
      Matthew Valero, ASAI

Comment

I can't answer you exactly but there is one thing for sure, since the switch to Sketchup PRO 2022 and V-Ray 5.20 nothing works like before.
        Sketchup slows down a lot, Sketchup crashes (I send dozens of bugsplat reports per week), V-Ray crashes (V-Ray windows that don't display anymore, rendering that doesn't start).

I always have Sketchup + V-Ray open in the background even after I close them.
        I have to force close them through the Task Manager.

It's getting tiring, very tiring...

I should mention that I'm still using the same computer, the same operating system, the same Sketchup plugins.

I think I'll have to go back to Lumion PRO (which has never crashed).

I'm worried about the future of the Sketchup + V-Ray combo.
        Chaos Vantage 2.3.0

Comment

I have to agree with you on this. I have felt the same. I have sent more Bugsplat reports in 22 than I ever have and it's not always VRay related. I get splats when I copy and paste sometimes. I would also agree that I get the same issue with lingering SketchUp in the background. This is all on a brand new machine with a 3080ti and a Ryzen 9 5950x, so its not an issue of an outdated machine. I am slightly convinced that Enscape and VRay active at the same time causes issues, so I never have both plugins active at the same time, I use Sketchucation's plugin manager to turn them on/off. I have not been able to nail done what the issues are because its not consistent, so I have not reported it to Trimble other than the Bugsplat reports.
          Matthew Valero, ASAI

Comment

Hi guys,

What you've described sound very worrisome to me.
            It is possible that the model complexity is at the bottom of this but I would still like to see how V-Ray is involved.
            It would be great if you can share as much info as possible as well as some of the crash dump files.
            I'd also be happy to get a hold of some of these complex models to play around with.
            If there is anything concrete that we can pinpoint, we'll fix it.
            Even if it's on the SU side we can still talk to Trimble and participate in the resolution.

Konstantin

Comment

Hi Konstantin,

since the last update (V5.20.06) I have not yet encountered a crash.
              Have you fixed anything?

If the crashes happen again, I will put aside the dump files and the SKP files.
              Chaos Vantage 2.3.0

Comment

Hi guys,

First of all, ValeroStudio, I tested your scene quite a bit and it never crashed : (
                There were a couple of moments when SU hanged but then went back to normal.
                I tried interactive as well as production rendering, enabled the IES lights but everything worked reliably.
                I'll continue testing with your project and get back to you if any issues occur.
                I also wander, do you have any other plugins installed and active, that might have caused this (or conflicted with V-Ray in a way)?

Originally posted by DCHA34 View Post
                since the last update (V5.20.06) I have not yet encountered a crash.
                Have you fixed anything?
                We have updated quite a bit in V-Ray Core.
                It is possible that one of the fixes there has affected the rendering in your project.

Regards,
                Konstantin

Comment

I'm having the same issue. If I have the VRay Editor open (not even rendering) if I paste something or use Cleanup3 Sketchup crashes. It doesn't happen always, but usually 20-30 minutes into modeling. I've attached the model I was currently working with but it happens no matter which model I have open.

Sketchup Pro 22.0.354
                  Vray 5.20.24
                  Windows 10 64 bit
                  Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-10885M CPU @ 2.40GHz
                  32 G Ram
                  Quatro RTX 3000
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by jkollars66; 14-06-2022, 12:22 PM.

Comment

I have the same problem. The computer restarts when I start interactive render in CPU.
                    If I launch the interactive render in GPU it seems to be fine, but after a few renders the pc restarts anyway.
                    Normal render works in CPU.

12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-12900 2.40 GHz
                    Windows 10 Pro 21H2 64bit
                    V-Ray 6.00.01
                    Sketchup Pro 22.0354 64 bit
                    Nvidia quadro P620​

Comment

Hi Konstantin,
                      I think that many unstable crashes may be caused by Sketchup, because many crashes are caused by SU and VRAY not responding at the same time. I don’t know if it is possible to process the running programs of SU and VRAY independently, and only exchange the data of VRAY objects with model textures. Like Chaos Vantage link. I think it will improve a lot of crashes.I don't know the current operation logic of VRAY for SU. I am guessing the location of the problem based on the state of previous crashes.Most of the time, it crashes when modifying model lights and selecting colors during interactive rendering.This kind of crash will often happen, and the task can only be ended.​Many times the rendering button will be disabled and rendering cannot be stopped.
                      Last edited by wzfwzfwzf; 26-12-2022, 06:51 AM.

Comment

Hello mauro_rizzello
                        A ticket (#73618) has been opened for you. This course of action will allow us to investigate the issue in-depth and look for a potential solution to this behavior.

Kind regards,
                        Zahari
                        Last edited by Zahari.Ivanov; 29-12-2022, 01:09 AM.
                        Zahari Ivanov | chaos.com
                        Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Working...
                        X