VFB window behaviour

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VFB window behaviour

I am running Vray for Sketchup 5.20.06 on an iMac (2020) with macOS 12.3 and also on my MacBook Pro - although the issues I describe have been present on previous versions of SU / Vray

I am not sure if what I describe below is 'expected' behaviour and maybe I am using the software in the wrong way, or it is something that could be improved...
    • When a render completes, if I minimise the VFB window to get it out of the way (so I can maybe tweak my model), the Sketchup model window is minimised with it
    • When I restore the SU window (Sketchup menu > Window > Select model), the VFB returns with it, it is still in the way but now none of the VFB window controls (close/minimise/maximise) work at all
    • If I click on the VFB control in the Asset Editor, the VFB bounces off screen and returns, and I can now close it (minimising will affect SU window as beforel)
    • If I use my iMac with a dual screen set up I don't seem to be able to run the VFB on the second monitor, if I drag it there it will disappear completely. I can start/stop renders, click the VFB control in the asset editor window, select the VFB window in the Sketchup>Window menu, but nothing will get the VFB back unless I restart SU. (I can however keep the asset editor on the second screen...)
    Am I not working the same way everyone else does, as this all seems a bit annoying to me!

Lastly is there any way to set the preferred file format for saving renders? It always reverts to PNG and I prefer EXR.

thanks

Dear KLPSWD, hello.

Thank you for your feedback.
    I understand your worries and will share some details now.

When a render completes, if I minimise the VFB window to get it out of the way (so I can maybe tweak my model), the Sketchup model window is minimised with it
    This is already logged in our system with SK-3127 & SK-3450 numbers. This is the default parent-child window behavior on macOS.

When I restore the SU window (Sketchup menu > Window > Select model), the VFB returns with it, it is still in the way but now none of the VFB window controls (close/minimise/maximise) work at all
    This is also noticed and it is a part of SK-3127. You could avoid this and be able to use VFB buttons by choosing the V-Ray Frame Buffer from SketchUp menu > Window, see here.

If I click on the VFB control in the Asset Editor, the VFB bounces off screen and returns, and I can now close it (minimising will affect SU window as beforel)
    You could skip this step by choosing the VFB for re-opening as explained above.

If I use my iMac with a dual screen set up I don't seem to be able to run the VFB on the second monitor, if I drag it there it will disappear completely. I can start/stop renders, click the VFB control in the asset editor window, select the VFB window in the Sketchup>Window menu, but nothing will get the VFB back unless I restart SU. (I can however keep the asset editor on the second screen...)
    This one was internally discussed in SK-3175, but no changes were applied due to some MacOS limitations again.

I will add this thread now to the mentioned tickets and perhaps something could be double-checked in this behavior to ensure better experience.
    konstantin_chaos, could join to share will there be any changes in the future.

About the saving - are you referring to this menu? Have you tried enabling Save Image from Settings > Render Output and pointing a File Type (.exr) and a File Path?
    In addition, .exr is the default format for saving all image channels to single file, see here.

Best regards,
    TS

Tsvetomira Girginova | chaos.com
    3D Support (AEC,HOU,C4D) Team Lead | contact us

Comment

Hello and thank you for the detailed response and suggested workarounds. I guess I'll just have to train myself!

Regarding the dual screen issue, I have since realised that when dragging the VFB to the second monitor, it actually stays in the location it is released (relative to the main SU window) but is not visible on the second monitor. If the SU window is dragged sideways, the VFB will appear on the second screen, but disappear when the SU window is released - unless dragged far enough to reappear on the primary monitor. It can then be 'recovered'. It is a great pity that this dual monitor situation cannot be improved. Not sure why it works for the Asset Editor and SU palettes, but not for the VFB.

Another separate issue I am noticing with this build of VRAY is that when I do a render window to update a section of an existing render, the original image is cleared leaving me with just the inset window. Previously the original image stays with the updated window.

thanks

Keith

Comment

Happy to enlighten you.

The region rendering thing - are you using it in the V-Ray Frame Buffer or within the Viewport (VPR = Viewport Rendering)?
        Please share also the exact SketchUp version that you are using.

Thanks in advance.

Comment

Dear KLPSWD​, hello.

We wanted to kindly inform you that from V-Ray 6.10.01 on, is provided an option to choose how VFB will behave - especially for MacOS.
          It is located under Extensions > V-Ray > Preferences > Parent V-Ray Frame Buffer.
          More information could be found in our docs here.

Keep in mind that:
          • per default the state is enabled/checked
          • when the option is enabled, standard VFB parenting is on
          • when the option is disabled, VFB parenting is disabled (VFB will show on your second monitor and it's possible to exit the VFB full screen mode)
          • the chosen state will persist between sessions
          Minimizing VFB will work properly too.

Enjoy your improved MacOS workflow with V-Ray for SketchUp!

Best regards,
          TS​

Comment

Working...
          X