Enmesh at corners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enmesh at corners

I am using Vray 6.00.02 for Sketchup 2022. This is my first real investigation into the Enmesh capabilities.
    Basically I am trying to get an Enmesh host to "Sweep" or "FollowMe" around a corner so that the effect is a mitered corner look. See attached image. The goal is to minimize hassle and modeling time by not having to address each outside corner with modeling that geometry.
    I've managed to create a regular shingle coursing effect which is assigned to a host that has a material assigned to it, which governs the coursing because my base mesh was crafted to match the coursing of the shingle image used in the material. The issue becomes when it reaches the corner. I've tried making a separate Enmesh that has a mitered corner base mesh which seems to work ok until I apply the material to it...then it disappears.

Click image for larger version

Name:	enmeshcorner.png
Views:	1288
Size:	1.16 MB
ID:	1174072

My hunch is I'm probably not understanding how the material governs the Enmesh.
    Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Carl
    Attached Files

Hello carl_lorenz,

The issue becomes when it reaches the corner. I've tried making a separate Enmesh that has a mitered corner base mesh which seems to work ok until I apply the material to it...then it disappears.
    This is a good idea - to create a mitered object for the corner, as currently Enmesh itself is not able to trim the geometry like with FollowMe\Sweep tools for actual geometry modeling.

Though you have to take into account that Enmesh is generated based on the UV mapping on the surface that Enmesh is applied to (hence material change may change the UV mapping as well) and also the axis of the object used for covering the surface.

There is two things you can try to get the result you describe:
    • In the material applied to the Enmesh surface enable Binding > Texture Mode > Texture Helper. This will help you to preview UV mapping.
    • Change UV mapping so that for both sides of the wall mapping starts from the edge: similarly to the example on the screenshot that I am attaching.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	1174070-enmesh-at-corners.jpg
Views:	1187
Size:	340.8 KB
ID:	1174453

If you still have some troubles adjusting it you can share a simplified version of your scene with objects and material in question here on the forum or archive your whole scene with the Pack Project tool and open a ticket.
    Natalia Gruzdova | chaos.com
    Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Working...
    X