This topic has been answered.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any one else just sick of software updates

I am getting more and more angry with software updates as I get older. You use this stuff for years and get used to how everything works and then they decide to change things. I dread updating and hold out as long as I can because I know it will always cause problems. I finally had to update to the latest vray for Sketchup and now every file I open gets an error message about updating vray components. My computer makes an alert sound about 30 times while the message keeps flashing. I need to hit ok to validate each error. Every file locks up for about 5-10 minutes before I can use it. And of course things like Laubwerk trees dont work anymore each time you "upgrade". And why in the h3ll were the material presets moved to Cosmos? Just to make things more difficult and annoying for everyone?! Ugh!
  • Answer selected by natalia.gruzdova at 13-04-2023, 07:06 AM.

Thanks to gary_ledgerwood assistance we were able to reproduce the issue with multiple Upgrading V-Ray components messages if Laubwerk Extension is installed.

​The issue is happening even with a simple scene that does not have Laubwerk objects. Currently there are two workarounds:
    1. To disable Laubwerk Extension when the scene is first opened with the newer V-Ray version. Once components are updated Extensions can be enabled again.
    2. To make sure to open file with File > Open when migrating versions.

Comment

Can I get this shifted to the "issues" section? This issue with not being able to open old files is becoming a real problem. I have a file I need to get into that it still locked up 24 hours later. I have about 20-30 "Upgrading V-Ray components" (This file will not work with previous versions of V-Ray for sketchup) messages. They are all aligned on my taskbar. Even when I hit ok on all of them, the file is still locked up. Not to mention the annoyance of an alert chime happening on each one.

Comment

Hello gary_ledgerwood,
        Thank you for contacting us with your feedback. Please note that I have moved your topic to the V-Ray for SketchUp: Issues sections as you have requested.

Regarding your experience with the update I would like to ask you for some additional information that will be needed to resolve what you have shared.

This issue with not being able to open old files is becoming a real problem. I have a file I need to get into that it still locked up 24 hours later. I have about 20-30 "Upgrading V-Ray components"
        • Could you please share what V-Ray version those files were created with? Are you updating from V-Ray 5 to V-Ray 6 or from some of the older versions?
        • Please share your hardware specifications and also what is your OS version?
        • Share your current V-Ray version (Extensions>V-Ray>Help>About).

Laubwerk trees dont work anymore
        Unfortunately, there are some known issues with Laubwerk, and I wanted to ask if you are able to render geometry, but without materials or if models do not render at all?

Lastly, I would like to suggest opening a ticket using this submit request form and if possible to share one of your scenes to test updating components in our environment.
        Additionally, we could arrange a TeamViewer session if this is alright with you to assist you directly.
        Natalia Gruzdova | chaos.com
        Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Hello. Thanks for responding. And sorry for my frustration in my initial post. I am still experiencing the issue on every file I open but I have calmed down since then.

I am not sure what version I was using prior to updating? As I mentioned, I wait as long as I can to upgrade so I dont run into issues. Is there a way for me to tell which it was? Based on my downloads folder, it appears that my last version was "vray_52006_sketchup_win.exe". I just updated to the most recent version. 6.00.02 Jan 17 2023.

Hardware specs are:
          AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16 Core 3.40 GHZ
          64GB RAM
          NVIDIA Geforce RTX 3060
          Windows 10Pro

I was able to download the most recent exe from Laubwerk and it resolved my rendering issue.

Is there is a free screen recording software so I can show the behavior on each file I open? Like I said, it is every old file.

Comment

Hello gary_ledgerwood,
            Thank you for getting back to us and providing the requested information.

I was able to download the most recent exe from Laubwerk and it resolved my rendering issue.
            It is good to know! Thanks for sharing.

Is there is a free screen recording software so I can show the behavior on each file I open?
            I am unable to recommend anything specific, but there are a lot of different free apps you could search for. Or alternatively you can try using a built-in Windows screen recorder. Select the app you want to record and hit WindowsKey + Alt + R, a small widget should appear on the screen. By default video will be saved to the C:\Users\Username\Videos\Captures folder. For more details on how it works search for How to Screen Record in Windows 10.

Based on my downloads folder, it appears that my last version was "vray_52006_sketchup_win.exe". I just updated to the most recent version. 6.00.02 Jan 17 2023.
            Thank you for checking, it was important to know whether you are updating from V-Ray 5 to V-Ray 6 or if it was some older V-Ray version (like V-Ray Next).

Like I said, it is every old file.
            Generally, when opening a file with a newer V-Ray version it is expected to receive a message: Updating V-Ray components. This file will not work with previous versions of V-Ray for Sketchup message. This message appears only the first time when a project is opened and all the assets are updated. Once the project is saved the message will no longer appear. It may take some time depending on the scene complexity.

Best would be if we could see how it happens on your side and if possible test one of such scenes on our side to see if we are able to reproduce it.
            If you are willing to share a file please open a ticket and upload an .skp file that still was not upgraded yet.

Thank you in advance.​

Comment

Hi Natalia! Just opened a ticket and shared a file I tried to open tonight. It took 5 entire minutes for the alert messages to stop and I still couldnt access the file. I tried the Windows XBOX screen recorder but it only records the App. Not the errors or sounds. Bummer.

Comment

Thank you gary_ledgerwood for opening a ticket and sending us your scene to test. Lets continue communication in the ticket for now.

I tried the Windows XBOX screen recorder but it only records the App. Not the errors or sounds.
                Thanks for trying! Indeed in such case it is unfortunately not a suitable app.

Comment

Thanks to gary_ledgerwood assistance we were able to reproduce the issue with multiple Upgrading V-Ray components messages if Laubwerk Extension is installed.

​The issue is happening even with a simple scene that does not have Laubwerk objects. Currently there are two workarounds:
                  1. To disable Laubwerk Extension when the scene is first opened with the newer V-Ray version. Once components are updated Extensions can be enabled again.
                  2. To make sure to open file with File > Open when migrating versions.

Comment

Working...
                  X