Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Displacement map

Hi!

Right now i'm trying to learn how to use "Displacement map" when creating my new own materials. I'm following videos on Youtube and everyone seems to have that tab "Displacement". I cant see it. See picture below of the tabs i can see, i cant find anything about how to get access to it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	129
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	1186631

The picture below shows how it seems to look like for others:

Views:	76
Size:	294.1 KB
ID:	1186632

I also tried to find the tab "Photon Mapped Caustics" like the picture below, but i don´t have that either.

Views:	80
Size:	333.3 KB
ID:	1186633​​

I hope anyone can help me, have a nice day!

Two ways to add displacement effects。

Comment

Hello sanna_matsson

wzfwzfwzf is correct and has shown the two ways to add a Displacement to your scene - As Geometry displacement modifier and through the Material's Add Attribute option.
      However, I would like to note that adding Displacement through the material's attributes is a legacy workflow and will be removed in the future. We recommend that you use the geometry Displacement modifier instead.

Additionally, depending on your goals, you might want to consider using higher amounts Bump mapping instead of Displacement. It is essentially a shading effect and will only affect how the surface of the geometry appears, rather than actually modify it. This also means that it will perform better (render faster).

Finally, regarding the Caustics, I would like to share the Global Illumination documentation page, as it contains a lot of helpful information. Essentially, you have two options currently - Progressive Caustics and Photon Mapped Caustics and this is chosen from the Calculation Mode / Disk Caching > Mode. The corresponding option for the Photon Mapped Caustics is "New Map", as this method generates a new photon map each time a render is started. The Progressive Caustics (Mode > Progressive) is a rather new advanced technique, which traces as many photons as is required and should be more memory effective.

I hope that the information above was helpful. I remain at your disposal if you have any questions.
      Zahari Ivanov | chaos.com
      Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Thank you wzfwzfwzf and Zahari.Ivanov! It was very helpful!

Comment

Working...
        X