Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Performance issues in file explorer when installing Vray 6 for SketchUp

Hi there,

I just installed V-Ray for SketchUp 2023 and while setting a Domelight and looking for a .hdr file the file explorer hangs and gets stuck. It also isn't able to find *.hdr files that I have, but it finds the ones inside a folder in the directory where the other are not found, but still can't select any because the file explorer stops working.

Also, since installing Vray and Sketchup, I find the performance of File explorer in general is very poor, and Photoshop startup time is much longer. Just trying to save a notepad file took like 5 minutes.

Windows 10 Pro
    Build 19044
    AMD Threadripper 2950X
    32GB Ram
    GTX 1070 Ti
    RTX 2070 Super

I had a similar program with Vray 6 for Rhino on a Laptop. It became practically unusable after installing Vray. Chaos Cosmos wouldn't work, and the performance of the machine tanked, file explorer hanged and, if I recall correctly, I had to do a system restore.

I'll try a system restore on this machine to try to find out if the culprit is Sketchup or Vray, and update this thread.​
    Last edited by estraulino; 01-08-2023, 09:39 AM. Reason: typo and tried to add tags

Hi again,

So, I restored the computer and still had some performance problems. The IT guy recommended using CCleaner and, to my surprise, it worked. File explorer stopped hanging.

I reinstalled SketchUp 2021 and the computer worked fine. Then, to troubleshoot, I installed Vray 6 again. This time I was able to select and HDR file and play around with the infinite dome, but the performance tanked again and SketchUp stopped responding.

I am pretty sure there are some issues with vray 6 for Sketchup and for Rhino. I would like to try the new features, specially the finite dome, but its so unstable that just troubleshooting takes hours. I can't have the office Workstation on downtime for so long.

Could it be some kind of conflict with some other software?
    What can be done to have a smoother experience? Never had this issues before Vray 6.

Comment

Hello estraulino,
      Thank you for sharing an update on your case.

Unfortunately it sounds like an operation system issue and you may consider performing a reinstallation of Windows altogether, not just a restore.
      V-Ray itself can not cause a system to freeze or crash and does not affect other applications performance. Though it is possible to experience some hanging during rendering if you are running out-of-memory or some specific scene may crash SketchUp. But working on a model should not cause any issues.

What you can check additionally is the performance of your hardware: run a V-Ray Benchmark test and compare your scores with other submissions here for the same hardware models. If the score is close you can rule out hardware issues. If it is drastically different please check this article for more information.
      Apart from that make sure that you have enough available physical memory to run your applications. You can check it in the System Information Tab: example. Also ensure that your main C:\ drive has enough space.​
      Natalia Gruzdova | chaos.com
      Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Hi Natalia,

Thank for answering, but, with all due respect, I don't think your diagnostic is correct:

V-Ray:11,630 vsamples
        2950x
        V-Ray GPU CUDA: 1,080 vpaths
        2070 Super
        1070 ti
        V-Ray GPU RTX:983 vrays
        2070 Super​

The scores are not the best, but they are fine.

File explorer was hanging while trying to search for files, inside and outside of sketchup. Even with sketchup and vray closed.
        I was not out of memory because I was not rendering when I was having issues
        I have enough space in C: more than 25 GB

Let me reiterate, the problems happened AFTER installing Vray 6 for sketchup. I had no issues before. The issues were gone when I uninstalled Vray 6 and used ccleaner. The issues REAPPEARED when I installed Vray 6 again. Vray 5 does not give me such problems. The only difference was the update to vray 6.

I had similar issues with Vray 6 for Rhino, in a different machine with a different OS. Low general performance. System slowdown. The issues were gone when rolling back to vray 5.

IMHO, just telling me that vray can't affect the performance of other applications, when I am watching how File Explorer stops working, is not very helpful.Click image for larger version

Name:	File explorer not working.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	278.5 KB
ID:	1187679

Comment

Hello estraulino,
          Thank you for testing the V-Ray Benchmark and sharing your scores. They are on a par with other submitted scores, therefore as shared before we can safely rule out any hardware issues.
          • What you could additionally try as a test is to open SketchUp (new empty file) and disable all Extensions except for V-Ray in Extension Manager: example. Restart SketchUp, make sure all Extensions are disabled and try to add HDRI again. Does it improve performance or File Explorer is still not responding?
          • Apart from that I can see from the screenshot that you are loading files from My Drive - try to move any HDRI to Desktop and load from there. Does it hang as well?
          • You have shared in your first post that you also had some issues with Cosmos Browser. Does Cosmos Browser work at the moment on this machine? Please test if you are able to import HDRI from Cosmos Browser.
          • What Antivirus application are you using? Does disabling it (for test purposes) make any difference in performance?
          Best would be to arrange a TeamViewer session in order to check your system, what Antivirus you have installed and Firewall settings. If you would like to schedule such a session please open a ticket using this submit request form to receive instructions for booking.
          Natalia Gruzdova | chaos.com
          Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

I tried the new hotfix and nothing works.

I agree here, this new versión has something bad, because always gives me bugsplat.

The same goes for the upgrade components and loading scene, it keep always upgrade component files

First time to experience this in all my life with vray.

I tried vray 6.1.1 and i could not open my files

Comment

Vray 6 works ok, but vray 6.1 does not work why???

Im going to wait for the vray 6.2

Comment

Working...
              X