Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Binding to a color no longer working with latest update.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Binding to a color no longer working with latest update.

I just installed the latest V-Ray update (V-Ray 6, Update 2, hotfix 1 (6.20.01)). The components shown have an "Edge" texture applied to them. It shows as a checkerboard pattern in SketchUp, so I used the Binding option set to Custom and applied the diffuse color. This removed the checkerboard pattern. However, since the latest update, the checkboard pattern shows no matter what setting I use in the Binding option. Works with textures, but not solid colors.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	37 Size:	561.0 KB ID:	1198053

​​​
    Attached Files
    Last edited by jkollars66; 20-12-2023, 11:53 AM. Reason: Added more details.

Hello jkollars66,
    Please note that this is expected behavior.

The change was introduced in the 6.10.01 version and allows for preview of both Color and Texture helper by default (while set to Auto Binding as well). This way you can preview Diffuse Color and UV mapping of other textures used in the material (such as Bump or Reflection, etc.) when Diffuse texture is not used.
    Natalia Gruzdova | chaos.com
    Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Hi there, I also notice this problem which is difficult, as for one the preview is not very nice to view on the raw model when they are architectural models. The other problem being that in the past when you clicked on 'custom' then ;colour' it would default to the actual colour that was inputted for the material - now this defaults to black for some reason? It used to be handy to be able to get an overall feel for the colour scheme prior to rendering. I suppose you could re-input the RGB values into that window but it seems like double handling.

Comment

Yes, this is unacceptable. I can't show clients model that look like this. Sometimes there is not enough time to render for the client. There needs to be a fix.

Comment

I'm having the same or similar problem too. It seems that when there is any texture loaded, eg as a bump map, reflection, etc.. it adds a texture helper in sketchup regardless.. It also seems that now whenever it has a texture helper in sketchup it loses 2 way colour binding - if i change the colour in vray, then it changes in sketchup (as expected) but if i change it in sketchup then the diffuse colour doesn't change in vray, regardless of the binding settings (Including if i change the colour in sketchup using a ruby script).

I notice that if you have texture mode turned off then it does work as expected, however if you go to turn it off once a texture helper is already added then the texture helper stays stuck in sketchup, with 2 way colour binding lost, until you wipe out all texture files loaded in the material, then it resets..

I read in another post that you're supposed to have a custom texture set to colour so it just shows the colour in sketchup, but it still shows the helper and you lose the 2 way colour binding again.

This is definitely buggy.. I was going to downgrade to an older version but there seems to be a problem with the downloader atm too..

SketchUp Version: 23.1.341 (MacOS Sonoma)
          V-Ray for Sketchup Version: 6.20.02​
          Last edited by wawmsey; 24-02-2024, 07:37 AM.

Comment

Hi wawmsey ,

I'm having the same or similar problem too. It seems that when there is any texture loaded, eg as a bump map, reflection, etc.. it adds a texture helper in sketchup regardless
            This is the expected behaviour.
            After all even if you don't have a diffuse texture but you have a reflection map, you still want to be able to control the material size.
            If you don't, you can disable the Texture Mode toggle in the binding options and remove the texture from the SU material.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	93
Size:	317.4 KB
ID:	1204440

I notice that if you have texture mode turned off then it does work as expected, however if you go to turn it off once a texture helper is already added then the texture helper stays stuck in sketchup,
            with 2 way colour binding lost, until you wipe out all texture files loaded in the material, then it resets..
            This might be something we've missed.
            The color binding should continue working in this case.

I read in another post that you're supposed to have a custom texture set to colour so it just shows the colour in sketchup, but it still shows the helper and you lose the 2 way colour binding again.
            Not true.
            The custom texture slot is for you to connect say the bump and display it in the viewport.
            If a procedural map is connected there (like V-Ray Color map) we show the Helper...

This is definitely buggy.. I was going to downgrade to an older version but there seems to be a problem with the downloader atm too..
            I don't see what you'll gain by downgrading.
            What is the setup in the older version that you can't replicate?

Konstantin

Comment

Working...
            X