I'm using V-Ray 5 for SketchUp 2021. I recently bought new laptop (spec):
    Acer Nitro 5 AN515-46
    AMD Ryzen 5 6600H with Radeon Graphics
    dedicated graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050 Laptop GPU
    RAM: DDR5-4800 (2400 MHz) 8 GB Samsung
    SSDM2 500 GB
    Windows 11
    ;
    I had a problem with rendering my projects. The render is crashing in mode: CPU, CUDA, RTX. I'm not shure what is the problem: project/hardware/my render settings.
    I added more RAM-DDR5-4800 (2400 MHz) Kingston. Now i have 24 GB of RAM.
    I'd be thankfull for any advice
  • Answer selected by natalia.gruzdova at 08-02-2024, 08:39 AM.

Thank you adam_oro for opening the ticket.
    I have reviewed your scene, so please take a look at the detailed answer in the ticket.

Here I would like to share that in this particular scene the crashes are caused by insufficient memory.

Some general optimization suggestions can be found in these articles:

Comment

Hello adam_oro,
      Welcome to Chaos Forum!

Could you please test if you are able to render a new simple scene? Does a simple scene also crash?

If you have issues only with specific projects would it be possible to share one or two so we could test it on our side? Also please let me know if you were able to render your projects with previous hardware?

In order to share your scene open a ticket using this submit request form and upload the archived scene in the ticket. Make sure to archive it with the Pack Project tool (Extensions>V-Ray>Pack Project tool).
      Also please let us know the exact V-Ray versions that you are using (check About window V-Ray for SketchUp).

On the other note, I want to let you know that I have moved your topic to the V-Ray for SketchUp issues thread.
      Natalia Gruzdova | chaos.com
      Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Hello,

Thanks for your response!
        Yes, rendering simple scenes is not a problem. I have issues with projects that contain a lot of photos.

I didn't have this problem on my previous hardware, but then I also worked on simpler projects.
        I’m using V-Ray for SketchUp 5.20.06​

Comment

Thank you adam_oro for opening the ticket.
          I have reviewed your scene, so please take a look at the detailed answer in the ticket.

Here I would like to share that in this particular scene the crashes are caused by insufficient memory.

Some general optimization suggestions can be found in these articles:

Comment

Hello

Thanks! I was afraid that the photos I was putting in the projects might be too heavy, but up to a certain point it worked. Now, when I started using much more photos, crashes began to appear.
            I will work on optimizing my projects.

I have also 2 more questions:
            Why rendering takes much longer in CUDA mode than in CPU mode?
            Why projects rendered in RTX mode are darker and do not include some lights​

Comment

I have answered in a ticket and also want to share the outcome on the forum.
              Why rendering takes much longer in CUDA mode than in CPU mode?​​
              General answer is - it is either scene-related (something in the scene renders faster with CPU than in Hybrid mode) or your CPU hardware-wise is more powerful than the GPU model.
              Also, if you want to ensure best performance with your GPU and V-Ray drivers should be installed following these steps: Installing the recommended Windows Drivers for V-Ray GPU on Windows. Current recommended version can be found on the top of the https://www.chaos.com/vray-gpu page. This version is tested and approved by the developers and how it works with V-Ray, so it can be different from the latest version released by NVIDIA.

I have tested the scene you have sent and the RTX render engine was faster on my machine compared to CPU, you can try to install drivers as suggested and retest it on your side. In ticket I have shared possible optimizations for your scene, and in my previous post suggestions for both CPU and GPU optimizations can be found.

Why projects rendered in RTX mode are darker and do not include some lights​​
              We have found an issue with high Penumbra Angle in Spot Light which renders incorrectly with GPU render engine: example. The issue is logged in our internal system as VGPU-6371 and your ticket is linked to it.
              As a way to avoid these differences please set lower values like 60 of Penumbra Angle or reset it to default. Another option is to use Rectangle Lights, change its shape to Disk and change Directionality, this way you can achieve similar results to high Penumbra Angle.

Comment

Working...
              X