Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Using a sketchup model after some time, or on another pc won't read Cosmos materials and models well.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using a sketchup model after some time, or on another pc won't read Cosmos materials and models well.

Hello,

I have one issue regarding the SketchUp/vray file saving, and file management.

When I create a model, for example, an interior scene, and I apply some materials from Cosmos, models from Cosmos... I noticed that they are stored in my local disk documents/chaos cosmos folder, or sometimes in temp files. So if I for example, want to transfer the model to another PC, when I open it, and try to render, the materials are damaged or vanished. When it comes to Cosmos models, I have an option inside the asset editor to download them again, but sometimes that works, sometimes not, and often I have to delete the models and upload them directly from the cosmos library again (because they weren't shown in render, even if the proxy is inside the model).

This makes a huge problem for me when I want to transfer a file to another pc or send it to someone. Or another situation, a client comes back to me after some time and wants to do another render of a space I did for him before, with a slight change, and then, because in the meantime I reinstalled Windows for example, or cleared my pc, when I open the model again, most of the assets and materials from Cosmos won't read well, and I have to apply again. That's a lot of additional work, and I am wondering if is there another way to save files, to keep all materials inside the model, so I can use them without these issues wherever or whenever I open it?

Thank you.​

Hello Underuwud,
    Welcome to Chaos Forum!

When I create a model, for example, an interior scene, and I apply some materials from Cosmos, models from Cosmos... I noticed that they are stored in my local disk documents/chaos cosmos folder, or sometimes in temp files. So if I for example, want to transfer the model to another PC, when I open it, and try to render, the materials are damaged or vanished. When it comes to Cosmos models, I have an option inside the asset editor to download them again, but sometimes that works, sometimes not, and often I have to delete the models and upload them directly from the cosmos library again (because they weren't shown in render, even if the proxy is inside the model).
    In order to transfer your scene with all assets to a different machine the Pack Project tool should be used. This tool will make an archive that includes the scene itself with all textures and other assets used in the scene.

Pack Project tool can be found under Extensions > V-Ray > Pack Project. You will be asked if you want to pack Cosmos assets as well.

Packing the assets ensures that textures and other external files referenced by Cosmos assets are collected and included in the archive. As a result, the project will be loaded and rendered correctly on other systems even if the same Cosmos assets are not downloaded there. Use this option when submitting projects to a 3rd-party render farm. Cosmos assets will still be available for download on the destination computer even if they are not included in the archive. Cosmos material assets are imported as regular materials. When packing a project, these materials cannot be archived like the Cosmos geometry assets.

Cosmos Assets that were not merged can be downloaded from the V-Ray Asset Editor when the scene is opened on a different machine - please find an example in our documentation. If after downloading them they still do not render - restart SketchUp and they should be loaded after that.

because in the meantime I reinstalled Windows for example, or cleared my pc, when I open the model again, most of the assets and materials from Cosmos won't read well, and I have to apply again.
    When you clean or reinstall your OS you are deleting assets that were used in your scenes or perhaps changing their file path. Therefore, after doing so and opening your scenes - neither textures nor other assets (such as .ies or .vrmesh files) can be found. You may consider storing all your custom assets and also Cosmos assets either on the network or in some cloud storage in order to have access to these assets even after reinstallation. For example, Chaos Cosmos Browser currently supports any form of network install, including mapped drives, UNC paths, Google Drive/Dropbox/OneDrive. Here in our documentation you can find how to configure the Asset Download Directory. Network or cloud storages can also be accessed from different machines (for example between coworkers).

Let me know if you have any further questions.
    Natalia Gruzdova | chaos.com
    Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Thank you very much @natalia.gruzdova this is exactly what I was looking for. It will change my workflow, and make these things easier in the future a lot!​

Comment

Working...
      X