Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mac & Windows path issues

Hi all,

I wanted to ask about file sharing, specifically Mac & Windows.
    Myself and my colleague both work on large scale projects and both work on the same render models (Sketchup) which we share over Dropbox, I know this isn't the ''proper'' way to do this as it causes a number of issues, one of which is the file paths dropping out every time either one of us opens the file to work on again and having to go through the very boring task of re-pathing.
    I also understand that both operating systems have different HD directory formats which is also a problem.

Can anyone advise how we would go about setting up and using a local server as a new option to file sharing. Can windows & Mac be forced in someway to have the same directory path?

We have a lot of projects coming up which will involve a lot of rendering and using Dropbox in this way just isn't practical.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Hi Mitch,

If sketchup accepts environment variable as a path then you can declare your environment variable for example workPath= c:\temp\myproject on a windows side, and then use the {workPath} variable as the base path in your asset/texture path. The root folder structure should be the same from there. Then on your mac you need to declare your mac path. So anytime you open on mac you will see your mac path and all assets loaded, and when your colleague opens his on windows he will see his. This is only if the sketchup system accepts such workflow.

For the file sharing, I would recommend looking into setting up a small synology nas server. Synology has a built in sync integration with various clouds, and drop box is one of them. Once you set it up, then the files will automatically sync to drop box using synology os. You can do much more with it, but I hope this answers some of your questions.
    Dmitry Vinnik
    Silhouette Images Inc.
    ShowReel:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxSJlvSwAhA
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/dmitry-v...-identity-name

Comment

Working...
    X