Setting Lumens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Setting Lumens

I am embarrassed to ask this question because it is so basic, but I am following a tutorial to learn to use V-Ray in SketchUp and am now defining the properties of a spherical light. I created the sphere size to be about the size of an incandescent bulb, and placed it maybe 3 feet from the object in the tutorial (a chair)I set the Units to "Luminous Power (Lumens)" and set the intensity to 1500 to simulate a 100W incandescent bulb. I left the color as a default White. I then render the scene and I just get a dark room. I guess I would expect a 100W bulb next to an object would be very bright in real life. I am only trying the basics and haven't made any other changes to the light defaults that I am aware of. What am I doing wrong?

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot 2024-04-15 095802.png Views:	0 Size:	1.24 MB ID:	1206657.
    Last edited by mary_hale; 15-04-2024, 10:26 AM.

Hi mary_hale,

What you've done sounds reasonable.
    I suspect you just have to change the camera exposure to achieve the result you're after.
    The default camera exposure in V-Ray works well in a sunny bright day.
    If you want to render a night-time setup using natural light intensity values you should also use realistic camera settings.
    You have 3 ways of changing the camera exposure:
    • Using the EV slider
    • Using ISO, F-Number and shutter speed
    • By activating automatic exposure\

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	45
Size:	122.1 KB
ID:	1206659

Note that this demo project might have not been set according to physical reality and that's why it doesn't look right out of the box.

Hope that helps,
    Konstantin

Comment

Ah, that was the missing piece of the puzzle. Makes sense. After all, if I step inside a room after being in the bright sun, even my eyes have to adjust, so camera settings make sense. Even just changing to Auto made a big difference. Thank you!

Comment

Working...
      X