Sketchup Material Linking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sketchup Material Linking

Linking sketchup materials works great. However, when trying to edit the parameters of those materials, it is extremely slow. After I click on any setting I have to wait for a while until the menu lets me click again.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Jorge

Jorge-

Are you editing the SU material or the V-Ray material layers?

The concept here is that you do not edit the Diffuse layer because that is the information that is linked from the SU material. If you are editing other layers like an added reflection layer then please let us know.

PS- Do not forget to apply the linked material to your model.

Best regards,

Corey
    Best regards,

Corey Rubadue
    Director

Chaos Group

Comment

I was only editing the V-Ray material layers. I wasn't editing the Diffuse layer, I was adding a reflection layer.

I tested it on a very simple scene and it works fine, but when I try in on a large model, it is pretty slow.

I did not know you had to re-assign the linked material to the model. In some instances re-applying the material it's going to be quite cumbersome and time consuming.

Let me know if you want me to e-mail the model.

Thanks,
      Jorge

Comment

We are probably going to automate the material be applied to SU material that you are choosing to link to when creating a linked material.

Best regards,

Corey
        Best regards,

Corey Rubadue
        Director

Chaos Group

Comment

Automating re-appling the linked material would be great.

Thanks,
          Jorge

Comment

Hi!
            I was editing a "liked material" in a poor scene with 4 planes & 2 SU materials (glass, stone). I was editing the Diffuse layer of the stone-material (double click) and SU has crashed. Any ideas?
            tnks

Comment

slinus,

We will look into the crash. However, the diffuse layer of the linked material is read only. You must edit your original SketchUp material to change the diffuse layer.

Best regards,

Corey
              Best regards,

Corey Rubadue
              Director

Chaos Group

Comment

Does it means you can't apply a bump mat to a linked material ?
                By experience, it crashes SU everytime...
                Does the solution is 1)make a VRay mat from the linked material ; 2) Apply a Bump map ; 3) re-affect the VRay mat to the object.

Comment

Originally posted by A_Minima
                  Does it means you can't apply a bump mat to a linked material ?
                  No he just means that editing the layer with the red sphere next to it will not actually change anything. That is just a read-only layer showing what the sketchup material has in it. You can add any other layers you like and do whatever you'd like to do with them - you can apply a bump map also.
                  By experience, it crashes SU everytime...
                  So just clicking on a the read-only linked layer crashes your SU? Could you walk me through the steps?
                  Does the solution is 1)make a VRay mat from the linked material ; 2) Apply a Bump map ; 3) re-affect the VRay mat to the object.
                  You don't need to re-apply materials to objects after changing them. Once its applied to the object it will stay there until you apply another material to it.
                  Best regards,
                  Joe Bacigalupa
                  Developer

Chaos Group

Comment

Originally posted by joeb
                    You can add any other layers you like and do whatever you'd like to do with them - you can apply a bump map also.
                    Ok. I imported a linked material from the scene.
                    Apply some other material imported from the VRay bib.
                    Create a new diffuse layer with color (no diffuse map) and apply it a bump (jpeg from the SU library). Then push the actualise button and ... Bug Splat !!

Comment

indeed,
                      applying bump to a 'linked material' gives crash.

Comment

I know that and I wrote about it on this forum as I did on [PPB?]. But I think you know that. I just give a try to the joeb solution : creating a new layer on the linked mat and applying a bump to this new layer but without tweaking the original red layer. It was a test and it demonstrates it's not valable. The develop team could work on it to offer a kind of Photoshop like layer-pannel....

Comment

Vray doesn't draw transparencies of the original SU materials (linked or not linked)... really frustrating
                          I also have to say automatic modifications of Linked materials is not only important... it's crucial!!!

Comment

Originally posted by archigrafix
                            Vray doesn't draw transparencies of the original SU materials (linked or not linked)... really frustrating
                            I also have to say automatic modifications of Linked materials is not only important... it's crucial!!!
                            Automatic Linked mat modification will be implemented a very next version

Comment

Thanx A_minima...
                              and what about the transparencie problem? Infact I've just made some test to see that even with Vray materials I can't have any transparencie in my renderings. Tried many render settings but no way... strange?

Comment

Working...
                              X