Beta 2 can not linked materials

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beta 2 can not linked materials

I can't add linked materials to the material editor window ...

m.ribaut-

There is a known issue that you cannot import a material from a library to the material browser and use that material to make a linked material. We should resolve this for the next beta release.

Is this what is happening to you?

Best regards,

Corey
    Best regards,

Corey Rubadue
    Director

Chaos Group

Comment

mate, you need to go into a bit more detail than saying " I cant add linked materials"

please remember that this is a beta, so the more specific you can be in describing what it is you did and what happened will only make a resolution quicker.

cheers mate

Comment

I've noticed that if the SU materials I wish to link do not have bitmap textures applied (in the SU material editor...in other words, they are flat colors) they will simply not convert to linked materials in the VRay material browser. It's a little bizarre...I thought I could get around this by assigning these flat SU materials a pure white .jpg texture, which I could tint in the SU material editor for visualization purposes during modeling. However, the VRay material editor still refused to create linked materials from them, unless I gave them a more complicated "photographic" .jpg in the SU material editor first. I'll happily upload the sample SketchUp file if you'll tell me how or where.

Comment

crubadue

the way I work with the materials is as follow

1.I set all my materials in sketchup (textures+map)
          2.I open the material editor
          3.I right click on the the first line : "Scene materials"
          4.I select "add linked material" and choose the one I want to import from the list
          5.I edit reflections and bumps in the vray material editor

Here is what i noticed with the beta2 : If the material you wish to import is selected in Sketchup then you won't be able to import it in the vray editor ...

If the material is not selected then everything works fine !!!

Comment

Originally posted by m.ribaut
            crubadue
            Here is what i noticed with the beta2 : If the material you wish to import is selected in Sketchup then you won't be able to import it in the vray editor ...

If the material is not selected then everything works fine !!!
            Strange, I'll take a look at that.
            Best regards,
            Joe Bacigalupa
            Developer

Chaos Group

Comment

Originally posted by lewiswadsworth
              I've noticed that if the SU materials I wish to link do not have bitmap textures applied (in the SU material editor...in other words, they are flat colors) they will simply not convert to linked materials in the VRay material browser.
              I'll see if I can reproduce that issue here.
              I'll happily upload the sample SketchUp file if you'll tell me how or where.
              If you'd like you can archive your file, and write a brief description that will walk me through reproducing this error. Then upload it to ftp://ftp.asgvis.com/incoming - be sure to email me and let me know which file it is. I appreciate your help.
              Best regards,
              Joe Bacigalupa
              Developer

Chaos Group

Comment

Originally posted by joeb
                Originally posted by lewiswadsworth
                I've noticed that if the SU materials I wish to link do not have bitmap textures applied (in the SU material editor...in other words, they are flat colors) they will simply not convert to linked materials in the VRay material browser.
                Joeb,

I am not sure that lewiswadsworths quote is correct. (on my computer non texturized SU materials can be linked without issues).

What i DO notice is that when you want to 'add a linked material' no surfaces in SU may be selected with that material. In this case linking will not succeed.

Comment

I can't link material since I run the Beta 2 (selected material or not, bitmap or just diffuse color).
                  SU V5.0.150
                  Win XP pro
                  Athlon 64 3500+
                  2gig RAM
                  Quadro FX1400

Comment

I just uninstall the Beta 2 to reinstall the Beta 1 and all works fine with this version.

Comment

With Beta2

renaming materials seems to help when you can not link it ...
                      I use that type of name : <material>01

every time i can't link a material, I rename it and it works ...

Comment

Originally posted by biebel
                        I am not sure that lewiswadsworths quote is correct. (on my computer non texturized SU materials can be linked without issues).

What i DO notice is that when you want to 'add a linked material' no surfaces in SU may be selected with that material. In this case linking will not succeed.
                        Good catch, biebel. I failed to notice something about the flat colors I was unsuccessfully attempting to link: they were pulled from SketchUp's "Colors" built-in material library. But if I create a flat color from scratch, or open one of the "Colors" materials and click "create" in the SU material editor (thereby making something with a name like "Red Copy" as opposed to the library-titled "Red"), it will link.

I assumed that flat colors (which is about as close as SketchUp gets to procedural textures), even if named in a library, couldn't be a problem, but apparently they are (Corey mentioned the library issue near the top of the thread).

But once I had colors that I knew would link, I tried to see if they would link if I had any surfaces selected in SU. And they will, on my computer, so I couldn't reproduce biebel's problem there.

I also had one random lock-up/freeze of SketchUp while trying to link a SU self-made material, which I have not been able to reproduce.

I don't think I'll post this model now, since we know my "color issue" was really the "SU library issue," which apparently you folks at ASGvis already know about.

Comment

...now are we good at 'bug spotting' or what

Comment

Here's another linked material problem: if I have managed to link a material that was in the SketchUp model, but then I delete the object with that material, purge the SketchUp model of the now unused linked material, and attempt delete the linked material from the VRay material browser...I get a bugsplat crash of SketchUp. I can't even click on the orphaned VRay linked material, let alone delete it from the list of VRay materials in the model.

Obviously, if you delete a linked material from SU everywhere else, you should be able to delete it from the VRay material browser too.

Could someone else confirm this problem?

EDIT: try clicking on the orphaned material name, not just right-clicking on Scene Materials and choosing "purge unused."

Comment

I'll look into the issues you all have brought up - thanks for taking the time to let me know about these issues. I did fix a couple of problems with linked materials yesterday - I'll see if my fixes help in these other situations.
                              Best regards,
                              Joe Bacigalupa
                              Developer

Chaos Group

Comment

Working...
                              X