vray crashing...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vray crashing...

Hi everyone, I recently found vray crashing when rendering a scene in SU2013. It is a rather large scene, I know (105MB).
    when reducing the output size, it seems to work out fine, but in the final pass, there are appearing black blocks in the render.
    they appear randomly, because when re-render, they are located differently.
    see attached file. also in the 'vray process window', it says: 'invalid geometric normal (1.#QNAN 1.#QNAN 1.#QNAN) for "<unknown>"
    I tried googling this message, because I think it's related, but can't seem to find an answer
    Attached Files

I haven't seen that error since the service release we recently published on our site. What is the version number of the build you are currently using?
    Best regards,
    Devin Kendig
    Developer

Chaos Group

Comment

I didn't install the service pack 1 yet, also running SU2013 instead of 2014, was planning on installing it the next weekend, because I had to finish this project... Where can I see the version number? But anyway I just bought it december '13...

Comment

Window->Preferences->Extensions->V-Ray should display the version number
        Best regards,
        Devin Kendig
        Developer

Chaos Group

Comment

version: 2.00.23590 (adv)

Comment

Ok, so you are definitely on the 2.0 release. I checked our bug tracker, and the only QNAN errors I could find, were related to anisotropic rotation issues when invalid UVs are encountered on a mesh. There were no related crashes, and there were no black render buckets though. It's hard to say exactly what is going on without examining the scene file. Please contact support@chaosgroup.com so we can examine this further.
            Best regards,
            Devin Kendig
            Developer

Chaos Group

Comment

I've encountered the same problem, black squares and then crash.

I started out with a large file, around 100MB, and winnowed it down to around 20MB but the problem persists. I am using version:2.00.24261(adv).

Is there a solution?

Comment

Hi there,
                I send my file to the helpdesk and they didn't find the problem, or the solution.
                at first I also thought it was of the rather large file size, but after a few weeks, it appeared in another drawing I made, only 7MB, so file size was not the issue
                so I started to search for components, materials, ... that appeared in both drawings.
                it was a frustrating search, but I nailed it down, finally!
                in both drawings I had used a component with the Steel_brushed_FJ bitmap in the diffuse layer.
                I use this material a lot, I like the result, but normally I 'sub group' each of my materials (one component, one material) and in this case I forgot to do this.

I don't know if this is the same in your case, but maybe you can check this...
                please let me know!!!

Comment

Hi Irmin,

Do you have a support ticket number so I can check on the submitted problem? Also, can you please share the material in question. Also, make sure you are running the latest version of V-Ray for Sketchup 2.00.24261? If not, please download and install it as soon as you can.
                  Best,
                  Ted Vitale
                  V-Ray for SketchUp
                  Product Manager | V-Ray SketchUp

Chaos Group

Comment

Hi Ted,
                    I'm sorry but I deleted the conversation in my mailbox, since there was no solution found.
                    where can I send the material and component too?
                    but as I said, I don't think it's a material problem, more like a combination material/component thing...

Comment

If you can send a link containing a download the component/scene in this thread that would be great. I use Dropbox in most cases. If not, email the link to support@chaosgroup.com with a tagline of Attn: Ted US Office and it should get to me. I would be happy to take a look and see exactly whats going on.

Also, Make sure you have upgraded to the latest service release, SP1, found here: http://www.chaosgroup.com/en/2/downl...v-ray-sketchup
                      Best,
                      Ted Vitale
                      V-Ray for SketchUp
                      Product Manager | V-Ray SketchUp

Chaos Group

Comment

Working...
                      X