Issue with material displacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Issue with material displacement

I'm trying to make a pebble material. The displacement shows up fine in the asset editor but the material turns to be flat in the final render.

Click image for larger version

Name:	pebble1.png
Views:	486
Size:	442.0 KB
ID:	1093568

I checked in the settings for switches and the displacement in turned on.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	displacement settings.png Views:	0 Size:	66.4 KB ID:	1093563

I'm using Sketchup 2020 and Vray version is 4.20.03

Please help.

Attached Files
    Last edited by rock9; 26-11-2020, 06:10 AM.

Hi rock9

Keep in mind that for Displacement to work, it should be applied to the outside of a Group.

This is a standard and expected behavior linked to the way SketchUp functions and more specifically how it handles geometry. In short, geometry, which is not Grouped (Make Group) or made into a Component (Make Component) lacks certain functionalities.
    I've prepared a simple visual example for you to check: http://ftp.chaosgroup.com/support/sc...7_12-51-45.mp4
    Nikoleta Garkova | chaos.com

Comment

Originally posted by nikoleta.garkova View Post
      Hi rock9

Keep in mind that for Displacement to work, it should be applied to the outside of a Group.

This is a standard and expected behavior linked to the way SketchUp functions and more specifically how it handles geometry. In short, geometry, which is not Grouped (Make Group) or made into a Component (Make Component) lacks certain functionalities.
      I've prepared a simple visual example for you to check: http://ftp.chaosgroup.com/support/sc...7_12-51-45.mp4

Thanks a lot!. It worked. The video is super helpful!

However, my pebbles have got many bumps. Is it due to the quality of texture or something else?

Click image for larger version  Name:	PBOUTPUT.png Views:	0 Size:	1.29 MB ID:	1093738

The image file for texture is the same as the one in original post.

One more question. When I change the displacement amount slider, no changes occur. Whether it is 0.25, 1.8 or 6. Why is it so?

Click image for larger version  Name:	peb-0.25.png Views:	0 Size:	833.9 KB ID:	1093741Click image for larger version  Name:	peb-6.png Views:	0 Size:	910.6 KB ID:	1093740Click image for larger version  Name:	peb-1.8.png Views:	0 Size:	887.7 KB ID:	1093739
      Last edited by rock9; 28-11-2020, 04:53 AM.

Comment

This is probably due to the fact you're rendering in Interactive mode - try to stop the render before/after you make a change, re-render again and it should appear with the change applied.
        Nikoleta Garkova | chaos.com

Comment

However, my pebbles have got many bumps. Is it due to the quality of texture or something else?
          The texture itself is the reason.
          You'll have to use a proper height map for better results.
          You can try one of the scanned textures.com maps lithe this one:
          https://www.textures.com/download/3dscans0392/132961
          Just download the Height and use it as a displacement in V-Ray,

Comment

Originally posted by konstantin_chaos View Post
            The texture itself is the reason.
            You'll have to use a proper height map for better results.
            You can try one of the scanned textures.com maps lithe this one:
            https://www.textures.com/download/3dscans0392/132961
            Just download the Height and use it as a displacement in V-Ray,
            Thanks. I'll do it and get back to you. Moreover, the link you've given has maps for normal, roughness and ambient occlusion. How do I use them in V-ray for better output of the texture?

Comment

Normal - Can be used in the Bump texture slot of the V-Ray material. Just make sure to select the Normal Map mode. Additionally you should specify Color Space: Rendering Space(Linear) for the Bitmap after loading it.
              Roughness - Can be used in the Reflection Roughness texture slot. To see it set the Surface Control: Use Roughness in the Reflection material parameters. Additionally you should specify Color Space: Rendering Space(Linear) for the Bitmap after loading it.
              Ambient Occlusion - The occlusion map is commonly used in games. You usually don't have to use it in V-Ray. If you still want to, you should probably multiply it on top of the diffuse texture. It'll make cavities appear darker. Multiplying it on top of the reflection / specular map also makes sense.

Comment

Working...
              X