No announcement yet.

Camera Clipping in Vray 5 for Sketchup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camera Clipping in Vray 5 for Sketchup?

In 3DS Max, the camera has a setting called Camera clipping where we can set the near & far values. Is that possible in Vray 5 for sketchup?

Right now, I'm using the section plane. But the problem with the section plane is that even the section shows up.

If this feature is available, we can model an entire house and use clipping to set the scenes. Otherwise, we will have to do each room separately as it is a hassle when it's combined with other rooms.

Hi manishpaul_simon

Could you please provide a screenshot to illustrate the issue?

I believe you are stumbling on the a known clipper behavior where artifacts are produced in areas where the geometry is clipped. This could occur when geometry is not well-defined and/or there are overlapping surfaces. This has been noted in the documentation (LINK)

If this is not the case and/or you require further assistance, please let me know!

Comment

Hi,

I've attached some screenshots below of both Sketchup & 3ds max. I hope you understand the feature I'm looking for in Sketchup.

In Sketchup, when I had a section plane and enable it, it cuts the geometry too when setting up scenes.

But in 3ds max, the Clipping option which is available both in corona & vray, helps in just moving the camera into space and avoids any sectioning of the geometry.
      Attached Files

Comment

Apologies for misunderstanding and thank you for the clarification!

For the time-being, I can only propose a workaround which involves using the Ruby Console to modifying the render settings or a text editor (e.g. Notepad) to change the values in the vropt file.

In the Ruby Console, simply input the following snippet and adjust as necessary:
        Code:
        [I]VRay::LiveScene.active["/RenderView"][:clipping] = true
        VRay::LiveScene.active["/RenderView"][:clipping_near] = 100[/I]
        To revert the changes, use:
        Code:
        VRay::LiveScene.active["/RenderView"][:clipping] = false
        VRay::LiveScene.active["/RenderView"][:clipping_near] = 0
        With Notepad, save the render settings as a vropt file and open them. Find the parameter clipping and change the value to 1. Afterwards change the value for the clipping_near parameter to an appropriate value for your scene and desired render output. Save the file and load it in the V-Ray Asset Editor.

In the meantime, the requested implementation has been forwarded to the dev team and it will be internally discussed further. However, please be informed that V-Ray for SketchUp seeks to achieve simplicity and avoid being cluttered with a vast amount of options (which are not applicable in everyday use).
        Last edited by georgi.georgiev; 08-01-2021, 06:50 AM.

Comment

Thankyou for your answer. I will try this out.

Yes I understand that sketchup is about simplicity.

But I feel this feature will benefit us since we don't have to model each room separately and we can simply use the clipping plane to place our cameras in a apartment or so.

Comment

Working...
          X