Two versions of Vray for Sketchup on same computer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two versions of Vray for Sketchup on same computer

Can i have two versions od Vray for Sketchup installed on same computer? Vray 3.60 for Sketchup Make 2017 and Vray 5.1 for Sketchup 2021? I have active licenses for both, but for some reason each installer uninstalls all other versions without asking.

Hi donPabloEscobar

Sorry to say it is not possible to have two versions of V-Ray for SketchUp installed on the same machine, as current installers are removing previous installations. There would be no issues to switch between versions (i.e. run the installer you desire).

Keep in mind that V-Ray is not forward-compatible, meaning projects done newer versions are not guaranteed to work with older versions. If a project is opened using an older V-Ray version than the one it was created with, a prompt message will offer wiping all V-Ray data to ensure file stability.
    Nikoleta Garkova | chaos.com

Comment

I had the same question...
      I wanted to keep Vray 4.2 on Sketchup 2020 and Vray 5 on Sketchup 2021.

The last upgrade from 2 to 3 caused a lot of problems (due to the fact that it was a major update of the software) but it definately caused a lot of grey hairs on my head...
      It was a very stressful transition for projects that were already drawn but still in execution / building stage. You couldn't make a simple adjustment and re-render... You had to update all the materials, re-link stuff etc.
      That would not be the case for upgrading from 4.2 to 5?

I have already bought the licenses, but I'm too scared to install, since I don't have time to redo a lot of work and can't afford for anything to get lost or go wrong... So having both running for a period of time would be very helpful

Sincere greetings,
      Sigrid

Comment

Thank you - although it's not a good news. I have some scenes that render in high resolutions smoothly in SKP 2017/VR 3.6, but won't even start rendering in SKP 2020/VR 5. And I saw a similar question in Vray for 3ds max subforum - and it seems that installer for 3ds doesn't uninstall previous version.

Comment

Working...
        X