Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Regarding PBR Workflow

Hi,

When I download a pbr material from sketchuptextureclub or polligon there are multiple maps that come with it.
    I know that we need to place the diffuse in the diffuse texture slot, normal in bump texture slot (and change mode to normal), and reflection & glossiness maps to reflection & refl gloss texture slots respectively.
    But I'm curious to know where to place the ambient occlusion maps and also the IDMaps in vray for Sketchup.

Also where do we place specular maps in Vray for sketchup?

Also, regarding surface imperfections, if we place a surface imperfection map in the reflection glossiness texture slot, do we get those scratches & imperfections?

I hope you could answer my questions sequentially.

Thanks a ton,
    Manish
    Attached Files

Hi manishpaul_simon,
    • Diffuse - Diffuse slot
    • Normals - Bump map slot + enable Normal mode + set the Color Space of the Bitmap to 'Rendering Space (Linear)'
    • Bump - Bump map slot + enable Bump mode + Optional (depends on the exported map): set the Color Space of the Bitmap to 'Rendering Space (Linear)'
    • Gloss - Reflection Glossiness slot + Optional (depends on the exported map): set the Color Space of the Bitmap to 'Rendering Space (Linear)'
    • Reflection / Specular - Reflection Color slot
    • AO - This map is most often used in game engines and simulates self-occlusion. In V-Ray it is not be required. If you still want to use it you can multiply the Diffuse and the Reflection maps with it.
      This can be done in various ways:
      1. Use an in-between Mix map.
      2. Connect it to the Diffuse and Reflection textures Color Gain parameter.
      etc.
    • IDMap - Not required in V-Ray. I believe the main purpose of this map is to allow for quick selections in Photoshop (or other post-processing app) if you want to edit the existing textures
    • Surface imperfections - Such maps can be used wherever you like in the shader. If you give me an exact example I'll be able to suggest potential ways to use them.
    Hope that helps,
    Konstantin

Comment

Hi, can you please tell us where to put these maps:

1. Roughness
      2. Metalness
      3. Specular
      4. Height
      5. Albedo (is this the same as Diffuse and/or Color maps?)

Thank you!

Comment

Hi samantha_brasher,

In order to use the maps you listed you'll first have to switch to the Roughness Surface Control mode.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	useRoughness.jpg
Views:	1966
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	1106307

1. Roughness - Reflection Roughness slot
        2. Metalness - Metallness slot
        3. Specular - Reflection Color slot. Note: You have to make sure that if in a specific area of the surface the Metallness is set to 1 (white), the reflection color should also be white (in the texture also)
        4. Height - This map can be used for Displacement in V-Ray
        5. Albedo - Diffuse / Color slot

Konstantin

Comment

Thank you so much!

Comment

Thanks for your response konstantin_chaos

Regarding the surface imperfections maps, my specific example would be generating scratches on materials such as mirror, stainless steel, wood and so on.

Comment

konstantin_chaos hello, what about the surface imperfection maps in vray 5 for sketchup? where do we load them?

Comment

Hi,

There is not a standard material slot for surface imperfection maps.
                Usually this texture is a mask representing the amount of dirt, scratches or oil buildup on a surface.
                But it can be many other things - patches of rust, paint splats, etc.
                In some situations it should be used in the glossiness material slot.
                Other times it can be blended with the diffuse or the reflection inputs.
                You can even blend two completely different materials using this texture as a mask.

Konstantin

Comment

konstantin_chaos How do you set the color space to Rendering Space (Linear)? I don't see that option.

Comment

calvin_ode it should be in the diffuse slot as a blue icon, just click into it and there should be a menu as follows, setting color space should be the transfer function. hope this helps

Name:	asd.png
Views:	939
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	1172241 Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled-2.png
Views:	1009
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	1172242

Comment

konstantin_chaos what color space should imperfection masks texture be in? will the default sRGB setting do?

Also, what if i wanted a surface imperfection map's UV to repeat multiple times whilst keeping the original texture the same (not repeating) ? For example, sometimes the scratch map would repeat once across one instance of the texture, which makes the scratches too big and pixelated to be real, i want to make the scratch map repeat several times over one instance of the main texture.
                      Last edited by jihao_lai; 09-02-2023, 10:16 AM. Reason: more questions

Comment

Originally posted by jihao_lai View Post
                        calvin_ode it should be in the diffuse slot as a blue icon, just click into it and there should be a menu as follows, setting color space should be the transfer function. hope this helps

Name:	asd.png
Views:	939
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	1172241 Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled-2.png
Views:	1009
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	1172242
                        Which of the options there in the transfer function represents linear color space?

Comment

Originally posted by selasi_damalie View Post

Which of the options there in the transfer function represents linear color space?
                          Hi, selasi_damalie Use None

Comment

In previous versions we used Color Space as Linear
                            Last edited by henriqueb; 03-02-2024, 06:01 AM.

Comment

In the more recent V-Ray versions, the parameter is called Transfer Function.
                              And None = Linear

Comment

Working...
                              X