Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Current best workflow for applying decals to surfaces ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Current best workflow for applying decals to surfaces ?

Hi All,

I am now finding myself in a situation where I foresee a lot of having to render rooms that have varied wall sizes in a solid paint colour with a range of decals in specific locations that will vary per project.

Example, I may have 3 or 4 rooms with totally different wall sizes all painted in the same solid colour (let's say blue) but all require specific PNG (transparent background ones) decals of a set size and location that will vary between each room.

The PNG decals will typically all be solid black outline based. Looking on youtube is finding some very convoluted methods so looking for the most flexible and straight forward approach to achieve this.

(I would also point out that creating a generic material in Vray and loading the PNG into the diffuse texture slot is resulting in a solid black rather than the png texture !?!?)
    Last edited by jason_cafferty; 08-07-2021, 08:19 AM.

Hey jason_cafferty,

One way you could achieve this is by using Blend material. You can set the two materials (one for the wall paint and one for the png) and select the wall paint material as the base of your Blend mtl. The other one you could set as a coat and that way you will be able to also adjust the blend amount. See attached screenshot for a visual example.

I would also point out that creating a generic material in Vray and loading the PNG into the diffuse texture slot is resulting in a solid black rather than the png texture
    Make sure to enable the Diffuse Texture Alpha option from the Opacity > Custom Source rollout in the Material's settings.
    Attached Files
    Nikoleta Garkova | chaos.com

Comment

Hi, positioning decals are problem also, especially with seamless textures that repeats several times on surface..

Comment

Working...
      X