Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

a non destructive way to randomize textures?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a non destructive way to randomize textures?

Does anyone know if its possible to randomize textures in a non destructive way?

Lets say I have a selection of component columns with a wood texture, and when I array them, the patterns in the texture becomes very visible.
    One solution is to group all columns, explode them and use a script like "Eneroth Texture Positioning Tools" to randomize the textures. It looks fine, but I loose the advantages of using components - like if I need to change a detail on the columns I need to start over again.

Does anyonw know if it is possible to somehow randomize the texture positions on a "vray level"?

Thanks

To answer my own question - it seems that UVW Placement can do exactly that.
    https://docs.chaos.com/m/mobile.action#page/66685415

Comment

Yes, the Randomizer is a good solution for what you're after.
      You can achieve something similar with the Tri-planar texture.

Also note that for randomizing the colors of textures in an automatic way you can look into the Multi-Sub map.

Konstantin

Comment

I generally switch on Stochastics and give a seed amount of around 10. It works pretty well.

Comment

I tried using this with a Vray Cosmos wood texture and I can't seem to get it to work. I have a single piece of lath with the texture applied that I turned into a component. I then copied these and made a wall of these lath components, about 1/2" of spacing between each component. I turned on Stochastic tiling, however, every component's wood texture is the exact same. Am I missing a step? I went through the help document steps and it doesn't seem to make a difference.

Comment

hi,
            If I'm not wrong, some features in Vray only show up when you use GPU rendering mode. Maybe stochastics is one of them.

Comment

Hi,
              how can I achieve a random variation of the velvet texture for the chairs to avoid repeating the pattern (see screenshot)? I tried the different UVW placements for the texture but could not make it work. I assumed that 3D (world space) changes the texture based on the world location of the geometry but that did not work. I am looking for a workflow that allows also instancing with vrmesh (which might not be possible).

Thanks.
              Attached Files

Comment

I tried using this with a Vray Cosmos wood texture and I can't seem to get it to work. I have a single piece of lath with the texture applied that I turned into a component. I then copied these and made a wall of these lath components, about 1/2" of spacing between each component. I turned on Stochastic tiling, however, every component's wood texture is the exact same. Am I missing a step? I went through the help document steps and it doesn't seem to make a difference.
                The Stochastic option is randomizing the texture based on the UV Layout of a single object.
                Basically the texture in each UV square is transformed based on the randomization values.

When you're dealing with separate objects you should use one of the other randomization modes like Render ID for example.
                Example result:

Click image for larger version

Name:	randomization01.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	727.3 KB
ID:	1165591

Hope that helps,
                Konstantin

Comment

Working...
                X