Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Render an object and its reflection on a surface it is sitting on but not the surface itself

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Render an object and its reflection on a surface it is sitting on but not the surface itself

Hi All,

What is the best workflow to render an object sitting on a plane and keep it and its reflection but not the plane itself.

More the point, I am lighting the scene and the target object is great and the reflection is fine but the dome light is illuminating the plane where I just want the object and its reflection below to edit into another image.

For reference I use SU2020 Pro, Vray 5 and editing suite is Affinty.

Example:

Black plane with and object sat on it casting a nice reflection below. Want the object and its reflection... don't want the plane as it's got light source reflections all over it.

All and any help appreciated.

Hi Jason, Just make sure the plane's reflection is set to black. And it wouldn't reflect any of the dome light on it. Does this help? Have you also tried using the Chaos Cosmos Studio HDRI in your domelight or environment light? You don't need to create a plane if you're using this method. And the reflections will only hit your objects.

Comment

Thanks, I'll try the first option now. As for Cosmos HDRi.... don't get on with them as kinda hard to work out where they are etc. When you put a dome light in you can see it in the inventory. I seem to remember trying the Cosmos ones and thinking....eh

Comment

As I thought.... the object isn't reflected in the plane either !

Comment

To avoid this thread getting really long with incorrect comments, I'll reiterate what I want to achieve.

I want a render of an object and it's reflection below it as a PNG so it can go onto any background I choose.

I do NOT want to see the plane or object or whatever that is reflecting the object.

I do NOT want to see the scene illumination reflected on the plane ONLY the objects reflection.

I kind of assume it's like shadow catching but nobody really seems to cover this on the SketchUp version so have given up on that avenue for the moment.

Ideally i want to use my 3090 not my CPU in case that is relevant.

Comment

Working...
          X