Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vray 5 gpu hair material

Hi Konstantin

Since there is no develop for vray hair material, im doing an experiment.

Vray hair material for vray forsketchup is really at a basic development so i tried some things.

What happens when you map the textures for the primary specular and the secondary specular???

I always have to do experiments in order to understand the software.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20221121_124608~4.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.97 MB ID:	1165875 As you can see i used fallof map for the 3 options and i got a really better hair material...what is the secret here???!!!

Also with this changes the hair material looks really nice, why??

Fallof is almost for fabrics... something is telling me that i should use this map for the hair material

First time in all my life that i push the hair material to another level... please dont keep your secrets with you!!!

When do you map the hair material?? what does it mean primary and secondary specular???

Should I use a fallof map or a fresnel map here???

I really use vray hair material and vray fur almost for every proyect.

Please bring a more complex hair material and a better vray fur.

Thanks

Click image for larger version

Name:	20221121_130645~2.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	2.11 MB
ID:	1165876 here is as i always use hair material for vray fur with out maps in the texture slot, the difference is really big, maping the texture slots gives me a more interesting hair material, with better colors and better reflections
    Last edited by luisgamino2; 21-11-2022, 12:13 PM.

Here is the render region

Name:	20221121_134255~2.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	528.0 KB
ID:	1165878 1 example with out maping the textures for primary and secondary speculars.

Name:	20221121_134320~2.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	800.5 KB
ID:	1165879 2 example maping with fallof texture in the texture slots for primary and seconday speculars.

For me the 2 example looks more realistic the carpet.

The first example has some strange colors and the reflections looks really bright in some places and dark over some places too.

Also look how the shadows look between 1 example and 2 example... 2 example looks so much better kind of uniform shadow and not so dark, while 1 example the shadow looks really dark... not uniform.

As conclusión... maping the texture for primary specular and secondary specular gives really a nice hair material...but could really looks even nicer if you improve the hair material.

Thanks again and i would like to hear your opinión Konstantin about this subject.

What kind of advices can you gives us in order to achieve a better hair material.

Thanks

Comment

There is no doubt Konstantin...i can bring here the RE for the render... almost everything looks better. Speculars, reflection, GI, lighting.

Why...???!!!

The Last one... without maping the textures...a lot of the hairs looks really bright, really bright, when i map the textures... the hairs does not look bright it looks neutral more natural as it looks in real life.

Last edited by luisgamino2; 21-11-2022, 01:18 PM.

Comment

Hi luisgamino2​,

The Hair material in V-Ray for SketchUp is only meant to be used on Fur and not regular geometry.
        The two specular layers are an approximation of the real-world hair strand light reflectance which gives you pretty good results especially when rendering long hair.
        You can think of the Primary specular as the material's reflection component, it'll give you the main highlight.
        The secondary specular will mostly affect rim lighting (light comming from the back) and is related to the translucency.

What colors you use and how you map the separate parameters is up to you - it is an artistic decision.
        The use of a Falloff map is not something we've tested or intended to work best...
        Using plain colors should also give you pretty good results in most cases.

Konstantin

Comment

Thanks for your answer Konstantin, im going to play a bit more with this material...vray hair material is a complex material the main issue is that until now i know how does it works.

Just the Last question if the secondary specular is kind of translucency what kind of parameters do you use in the first option that says translucency is the second option for the hair material.

Thanks in advance

Comment

Vray hair material and vray fur became a reality with vray 3.0 and i remembered it was used for grass in the presentation of vray 3 for sketchup.

something is telling me that the default preset is for grass in a garden not for rugs or tapestry... the default material really looks too glosy without the falloff efect that we have with sheen.

I dont Know Konstantin... the default preset is so different than a strain rug.

The hair it self with fur looks really diferent than a rug or a tapestry.

Since i never use hair material for grass, i use skatter 2 presets it looks nice and as a proxy it does not take too much vram.

Yestarday i was watching adan martin videos on youtube about a tapestry with vray fur and hair material for 3d max and what i see is a complete different result than vray for sketchup... he really achieved a really nice rug... something is telling me that vray hair material for sketchupis at a basic setup that really dont represent a real rug. This material is more for grass but not for a really rug like in a dining room.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20221124_142902~2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.38 MB ID:	1166235 i dont Know if vray hair material for sketchup can represent this amazing specular and reflections, also the variations of really small colors.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20221124_143116~2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.13 MB ID:	1166236 here is another rug... this one seems the kind of effect like sheen in textils. Both are artificial, but for natural carpets or rugs the sheen effect is even greater, not so much reflections is kind of matte...also looks how the leg chair looks no single fur over the leg of the chair as it is in real life... so there are no pretexts vray fur and vray hair material for sketchup should get more attention

Thanks again
            Last edited by luisgamino2; 24-11-2022, 01:45 PM.

Comment

Also Konstantin with vray gpu the rugs does not look right because the fur with vray hair material makes the strands plane not as tubes as it should be.

So there are so many things with vray fur and vray hair material that can be better.

Also with vray 5 you can not combine 2 different fur in the same rug.

I would like to combine thin strands with fat strands

Last edited by luisgamino2; 24-11-2022, 03:39 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X