Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vray 6 gpu, enviroment fog with phase function

Hi Konstantin

Right now im really missing 3 things 2 from vray for 3dmax and vray for maya and 1 from vray houdini

From max and maya i really miss a better shadder for hair or better vray fur

From houdini i would really like to see a more complex environment fog and support for the phase function.

Enviroment fog is really slow and it has not change almost anything in years, i dont see a real progress in this.

I hope you see and understand that some things that really works nice in more complex software like max, maya and houdini, for vray for sketchup is in a primitive way.

With vray 6 i didnt see really things that you said...Well that new versión makes some materials really nice, or this really brought a complete new look to my renders.

Vray 5 renders almost look the same than vray 6 renders.

I really hope to see more complex materials and better things as i already wrote too many times ago.

Some things are the same as vray next or even vray 3
    it has not changed anything not in weeks neither months but for years!!!

Thanks
    Luis Gamino
    Last edited by luisgamino2; 11-01-2023, 10:49 AM.

Hi luisgamino2​,

From max and maya i really miss a better shadder for hair or better vray fur
    By a better hair shader I assume you mean the HairNext material. Is that correct?
    If that is the case I'll once again repeat that this material is meant to be used for shading characters hair much more than shading fur (carpets or grass).
    Also how is the Fur in 3ds Max and Maya 'better'?

From houdini i would really like to see a more complex environment fog and support for the phase function.
    Which setting of the environment fog are you missing?

Enviroment fog is really slow and it has not change almost anything in years, i dont see a real progress in this.
    The volumetrics rendering method used in V-Ray is exactly the same between applications. There should be no speed difference when comparing V-Ray for SketchUp and Max.
    Also keep in mind that the rendering of volumetrics has been updated and optimized multiple times throughout the years.

I hope you see and understand that some things that really works nice in more complex software like max, maya and houdini, for vray for sketchup is in a primitive way.
    Can you list all the things you find to be better in the other plugins?
    As I have explained in the past, exposing options is trivial for us.
    But out goal is not to expose every single option there is in V-Ray.
    Our goal is to give you a simple, yet powerful workflow in which you do not have to tweak every single thing manually.
    I hope you agree that the common SketchUp user has different needs compared to a VFX artist using Maya and Houdini.

With vray 6 i didnt see really things that you said...Well that new versión makes some materials really nice, or this really brought a complete new look to my renders.
    Every single thing I listed in the V-Ray 6 release notes is part of the product.

Vray 5 renders almost look the same than vray 6 renders.
    I really hope to see more complex materials and better things as i already wrote too many times ago.
    V-Ray is a mature product which has been capable of producing photo-realistic results for years.
    You shouldn't expect us to release a version which gives you completely different results when you hit the render button.
    However each new version is helping you achieve high quality results more quickly.

Some things are the same as vray next or even vray 3
    it has not changed anything not in weeks neither months but for years!!!​
    I'm sorry that you feel this way.
    For reference on what has changed you can refer to the release notes:Regards,
    Konstantin

Comment

Hi konstantin

Vray hair material is not ready i always get fireflies over my tapestry with vray hair material and vray fur.

10 vray gpu renders, 8 or 9 of them i get a lot of fireflies

Is very annoing to begin to erase them with photoshop it takes time and effort and is not only 1 or 2, but really a bunch.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20230113_190844~2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.08 MB ID:	1170134 and this is only a small crop
      Click image for larger version  Name:	20230113_190817~2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.04 MB ID:	1170135 small crop again

But i can show in a live sesion or a simple rendering that i really get a lot of fireflies only in tapestry.

I never get other fireflies in other materials i dont tweak the general settings, that is why i dont get fireflies over the render.

But always get fireflies with hair material.

I can show you with a complete render how many fireflies i get, also with this hair material and this vray fur i cant use it to simulate some tapestry from Perú.

About the enviroment fog i would really like to see 2 things speed and more realistic effect.

Im going to leave you this 2 subjects at your hand, you are who develop the sotware, at the same time i like the surprises from chaos group so im not going to ask anything.

But please consider since vray for sketchup is the same price than vray for maya and vray from max for perpetual licence a better software.

The last one i dont twak too much vray fur and vray hair material, just small changes and is just that.

For gardens i use skatter 2 Lindale they own grass setting...Really really better than use vray hair material and vray fur for grass.

Also consider how vray fur increase a lot the vram for the RTX egine with vray gpu.
      With cuda there is no issues...but with RTX engine is really difficult to use it because takes a lot of vram.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20230114_123131~2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	574.3 KB ID:	1170139 With vray fur and vray hair material is this possible...I dont think so.!!!

Click image for larger version  Name:	20230114_123438~2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	588.5 KB ID:	1170140 Is this possible with vray hair and vray fur...I dont think so!!!

These is in 3d max with vray fur (Adan Martin tutorials) Looks how amazing it looks!!!

So there are no pretexts...I cant express my self as i should do because there is no effort on bring more things to both vray hair material and vray fur.

These are natural skins with really smalls hairs that have other propertys, very different than the clásical
      Tapestry.

So for me as conclusión vray fur and vray hair material it is at a basic point, really imposible to match the real quality in real life for normal tapestry and for skins with hairs it is impossible to do it

Thanks again
      Luis Gamiño
      Last edited by luisgamino2; 14-01-2023, 11:46 AM.

Comment

Hi,

Vray hair material is not ready i always get fireflies over my tapestry with vray hair material and vray fur.

10 vray gpu renders, 8 or 9 of them i get a lot of fireflies

Is very annoing to begin to erase them with photoshop it takes time and effort and is not only 1 or 2, but really a bunch.​
        Can you share an example project where the fireflies appear.
        There might be a way to reduce them by tweaking the fur material properties or changing something else in the scene.

About the enviroment fog i would really like to see 2 things speed and more realistic effect.​
        OK, I just thought you are missing an option which already exists in Max.

For gardens i use skatter 2 Lindale they own grass setting...Really really better than use vray hair material and vray fur for grass.
        They use instancing of grass patches for the grass.
        This is something you can achieve with our own Scatter combined with grass patches from Cosmos.

These is in 3d max with vray fur (Adan Martin tutorials) Looks how amazing it looks!!!

So there are no pretexts...I cant express my self as i should do because there is no effort on bring more things to both vray hair material and vray fur.

These are natural skins with really smalls hairs that have other propertys, very different than the clásical
        Tapestry.

So for me as conclusión vray fur and vray hair material it is at a basic point, really imposible to match the real quality in real life for normal tapestry and for skins with hairs it is impossible to do it​
        I see what you mean.
        Unfortunately the tutorial you are referring to is using 3ds Maxes native hair system.
        If we want to offer something like this to the SketchUp users we'll have to develop a complete hair grooming system which is not our speciality.
        The same goes for the more custom tapestry designs you mentioned.

Konstantin

Comment

Hi Konstantin

About the hair material what i had observed is the default material is too shiny, in real life it does not look too shiny is bit more matte, i use a bit of transparency with the hair material like 12 o 13 amount just too little. I use glossines from .5 to .7

Vray hair material has glossines .8 for default...For me that i work with natural fibers here in Mexico .8 is too much a lot of tapestries looks more matte.

But this is my concern this seems a complex material that sometimes i dont understand.

About the 3d maxes native hair material for 3d max is seems a really nice option, but i understand sketchup is a very simplistic software in which we dont have this kind of features.

I dont want to stress anybody, but sometimes i really miss a lot of things that are in vray for 3d max that we dont have.

Thanks for your explanation

Looking forward to see an amazing vray 6 update 1 for vray for sketchup!!!

Last edited by luisgamino2; 07-03-2023, 11:05 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X