Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Workflow advice for sharing models via Dropbox

Hi all,

I have a query regarding the sharing of models over Dropbox. Myself and a main designer often work on the same or copied out models when we are setting up for rendering, then via a process of paste in place for certain elements we build up to a main master model which then goes through the final render.

We have regular issues where we might have, for example, a paste in place model of some plants which contain complicated geometry, various materials etc, that I might model and save on my PC on the shared Dropbox folder, this model is then reopened at the other end and copy & pasted into the main model for rendering, but more often than not the geometry is there but all of the materials & textures are not mapped correctly, linked or even missing. We use models and materials from the same shared location yet we still need to re-path a lot of the time and on occasion some complex models need materials individually mapped and linked again which can be very time consuming.

Am I missing something very obvious here? I understand that both our machines will have slightly different folder locations for the Dropbox, ie c:/user/dropbox or d:/user/dropbox etc but should this cause this much of a constant issue? Should we be using a different server or similar?

Any advice would be very welcome.

Thank you.

Hello,

The way Dropbox is performing the syncing causes disruptions. This is not an officially supported way and we cannot help when using Dropbox for that task, we would recommend you use a local-level server for that purpose​ as a workaround which should eliminate the problem. All cloud solutions (dropbox, onedrive, g-drive, etc.) sync the files on multiple levels and instances, and that causes the issues.
    Ognyan Stavrev

Technical Support Representative
    Contact Support- https://support.chaos.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

Chaos​

Comment

I found the same with Photoshop files...the writing of the files, so slow and even with a very high broadband line..........and odd artifacts appearing also...........Locel server to lock into. I supose the way large comapnies wirk with Revit, which is work on the file localy untill the evening and then upload it in the evening.

Comment

Working...
      X