Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vray 6 acescg render with 8 bits or 16 bits

Hi Konstantin and Muhhamed

i have been working with vray 6 with aces.

One question should i render with 16 bits channel in the configuration main settings.

Full size textures with 8 bits or 16 bits to get the Best colors and the Best features of the acescg, better reflections, better global ilumination and better lighting.

I listened in a video in which the autor says is better to use textures with 16 bits channel since aces has a wider gamut color, he says using 8 bits channel for texture is not right since 8 bits only has 254 colors, so acescg cant express as it is because does not has a big range of colors because the 8 bits.

So should i use 8 or 16 bits pero channel in the configuration full size textures

Thanks again
    Last edited by luisgamino2; 17-07-2023, 03:12 PM.

Hi luisgamino2​,

If your textures are 8bit to start with (jpg, png and most tiff textures are) changing the Bit Depth in the GPU options will make no difference.
    As for ACEScg - Using textures saved in the ACES color space can certainly enrich the colors in your render but it is not a requirement.
    Even if you work with regular textures (sRGB), V-Ray still takes advantage of the wider gamut when calculating lighting and when evaluating plain colors in the set.

Another thing I would advise is for you to select the sRGB Primaries mode in all your bitmap textures when working in ACEScg color space.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	119
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	1187858

Regards,
    Konstantin

Comment

Working...
    X