Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it possible to have rain, snow or to see when some dry leaves fall to the floor with vray?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it possible to have rain, snow or to see when some dry leaves fall to the floor with vray?

Hi Konstantin and Peter Chauchev

One of the things that i really miss with vray is the posibility to give to the scene some kind of dinámic things.

Like rain, snow and the dry leaves that fly and fall to the floor.

With vray you can achieve a really nice renders...But some times i wonder how would look the garden in a rain atmosphere

Or see the dry leaves that fall and fly over the scene.

I have never tried Lumion because i use vray for sketchup but lumion has really nice effects like rain and snow and it was implemented some years ago

Is it possible with vray for sketchup???

I would really like to have rain with vray for sketchup, i would like to see gardens and houses in a different whether conditions

This along with a better enviroment fog really can bring an amazing options to see spaces.

Just simply imagine to see a garden with enviroment fog after a rain.

With chaos skater in a volume is this possible???

Thanks
    Best regards

Luis Gamino

Hi luisgamino2 ,

Everything that you've described is possible in V-Ray for SketchUp but requires a manual setup.
    We will explore different options for automating weather changes in the future because we know that many people would love it.

Konstantin

Comment

Hi Konstantin,
      would you mind elaborating on the manual setup to achieve these effects? For instance, what workflow would you recommend to create a rain effect within V-Ray?

Thanks in advance.

Thibaut

Comment

Hi Antioche​,

Creating a wet material in V-Ray is a matter of changing material properties and possibly swapping some texture maps.
        Here's a simple concrete material from Cosmos:
        Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	405
Size:	3.98 MB
ID:	1188009

By altering the diffuse, reflection and coating of the material we can make it look wet:

Views:	411
Size:	4.18 MB
ID:	1188010
        This is currently a manual process and the results depend on the time you invest in fine-tuning the materials.

As I mentioned, it is possible that this process can be streamlined and automated in the future.
        And it's good that you are showing interest.
        I'll make sure we have an internal discussion about this and possibly raise it's priority.

Regards,
        Konstantin

Comment

Hi Konstantin,
          This wet material looks great.

While I have tweaked materials to achieve the kind of wetness effect you show here, I would be interested to see the details of the alterations you made to the concrete material you showed us here.
          Is this simply a noise blend map applied to coating or the reflection map?
          Care to share the wet material itself or some screenshots of its settings?

Before the "seasonal" settings are implemented into V-Ray, it would be really useful if this kind of effects could be available in Cosmos as a kind of Blend material, that could simply be added/blended with other material to quickly create that wetness effect. A kind of "scaffolding" to get that effect quickly before it can be fine-tuned for specific case. Do you think this could be possible?

My question was actually referring more to the atmospheric effect of rain in renders: how falling raindrops to be suggested with volumetric/atmospheric settings, with the existing tools. Aside from overlaying some raindrops bitmap over the final render, I mean.

Best regards,

Thibaut

Comment

Hi Antioche​,

The core logic used in this shader is the following:
            - Create a Noise texture
            - Remap the noise texture (with spline or bezier curve) and multiply it over the diffuse to ensure diffuse darkening where the surface is wet (under puddles mostly).
            - Remap the same texture and add it to the Reflection slot - this will give you shiny wet reflections, affected by the material's bump - not the actual puddles. I've also decreased the reflection glossiness value.
            - Remap the noise an plug in into the Coat Amount - you need a high contrast texture here. Those are the puddles which should not be affected by the bump of the base.
            - And one more remap for the puddles bump...

I know - it looks complex but it isn't that bad.
            I've attached the material I used for reference (it is not polished, just an experiment) - Concrete Simple B01 200cm (wet).zip
            I haven't uploaded the maps because of their size - you can get them from Cosmos...

My question was actually referring more to the atmospheric effect of rain in renders: how falling raindrops to be suggested with volumetric/atmospheric settings, with the existing tools. Aside from overlaying some raindrops bitmap over the final render, I mean.
            Well, adding Environment Fog or Aerial Perspective to the set can help you for sure.
            It doesn't solve the raindrops challenge though.
            I would actually recommend you add raindrops in post, especially for stills.
            If you would like to simulate the raindrops, then you should consider simulating particles in an external app (like blender), exporting an alembic cache and loading it as a V-Ray Proxy.
            Unfortunately, you don't have options for how the particles are rendered - they'll always be spheres with a fixed size.
            If you are interested in this workflow I can dig deeper and maybe give you a script that accesses more options...

"Not rain" particles example:

Views:	385
Size:	2.63 MB
ID:	1188043

Hope that helps,
            Konstantin
            Attached Files

Comment

Hi Konstantin

Im reading this and the only thing i can think is that this is really awesome, i was thinking in the post the rain effect in volumetric like when the small drops fall down to the earth.

For example im going to do a render, i have already set the output size, the camara, the quality settings, the lights and the materials.

When i hit the render button i would like to see when start building the light cache the small drops over the open space, like it is in real life, small particles in all the space.

But the suggestion to have wet materials like that concrete is really really great.

I really liked that concrete wet material...So sometimes vray for sketchup can really create nice materials like that one.

The main issue is that we dont know the vray material as far as you described Konstantin, this is in advanced level.

The new that we can render particles with vray for sketchup sounds awesome, the other day i used blender to import some grasswald assets and it is really a nice software to model things.

So the alembic files...!!!wowww with this conversation Konstantin!!! sometimes asked my self what does it mean alembic files

When you import a proxy appears an option to import as alembic file, i never use that file, i a

When do you use this kind of file Konstantin??? and what does it mean alembic file???
              Also do you have a tutorial how to do in blender this kind of real rain?

If rain is going to be difficut snow can be even more difficult.

And about the dry leaves???

This is what i was talking about months ago or years to go deeper in materials for vray for sketchup.

Thanks for your response and the information Konstantin

I really appreciate the effort here in this conversation

Last edited by luisgamino2; 07-08-2023, 11:36 PM.

Comment

About old materials Konstantin, how do you give this kind of effect??

Is it possible to have this effect for example and old beam that was years outside of the house??

Sometimes i wonder how to give the reflections of materials this kind of effect.

Sometimes with this kind of materials the reflections does not look uniform.

They seem more random reflections

Comment

Working...
                X