Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Vray for 3ds have anything that Vray for SketchUp doesn't?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does Vray for 3ds have anything that Vray for SketchUp doesn't?

Title pretty much explains it. Does Vray for 3ds have anything that Vray for SketchUp doesn't? Like in terms of settings?

If I had the same model and textures and rendered them in each software, would I be able to do more/better optimizations in 3ds max then compared to SketchUp?

Hi zach-ryder

Vray for 3d max and maya is in another league!!!

With that i tell you all!!!

Zach Ryder for that question seems that you are new with vray.

The list is very big...Ready!!!???

1. We dont have the mix curve with falloff
    2. We still do not have compositing trough glass material with refraction with RE
    3. We dont have vray next hair material
    4. We dont have directional or uniform translucency with vray gpu
    5.we cant render particles
    6. We cant use phoenix software
    7.we cant use chaos skatter in a volume
    8 we dont have alsurface material
    9.we dont have the option to bring próxis to the previus thing, with maya this is possible
    10. Better depth of field
    11. Better vray frame buffer
    12. Better enviroment fog
    13. With vray for 3d max and maya caustics reflection in the global ilumination is on by default with vray for sketchup and rhyno is always off.

In few words vray for 3d max and vray for maya are for proffesionals

While vray for sketchup and rhyno are for stundents or some people who like architecture and design and that is all.

when vray bring a new update first is 3d max and then maya

Then is vray for sketchup and then vray for rhyno

Both gets different things but the most proffesionals options go to 3d max and maya

Vray for 3d max and maya is very diffrent than vray for sketchup and vray for rhyno

I have been using vray for sketchup for more than 10 years i know the software and his limitations

Last edited by luisgamino2; 10-08-2023, 10:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by luisgamino2 View Post
      Hi zach-ryder

While vray for sketchup and rhyno are for stundents or some people who like architecture and design and that is all.
      I do not agree with this at all. Half of the missing features you listed are honestly not all that important for arch-viz rendering. I think the one thing we suffer from is the SketchUp's lack of ability to handle hi-poly models. Thankfully we have proxies and workarounds but if you are working on very complex scenes, SketchUp will choke at some point but now that we are all trying to keep our scenes low-poly for use in real-time, SketchUp might be a great way of learning how to keep your scenes light.

With that all said, I have been a SketchUp and VRay user for over 16+ years working with it In a professional manner and am a little insulted that someone would say that it cannot be used on a pro level. This is not true. These are all just tools, the great image-making comes down to the artist behind the mouse and keyboard. Banksy uses stencils, are you going to say that stencils are for students and people who just like to play around with art?

Matthew Valero, ASAI

Comment

Originally posted by ValeroStudio View Post
        I do not agree with this at all. Half of the missing features you listed are honestly not all that important for arch-viz rendering. I think the one thing we suffer from is the SketchUp's lack of ability to handle hi-poly models. Thankfully we have proxies and workarounds but if you are working on very complex scenes, SketchUp will choke at some point but now that we are all trying to keep our scenes low-poly for use in real-time, SketchUp might be a great way of learning how to keep your scenes light.

With that all said, I have been a SketchUp and VRay user for over 16+ years working with it In a professional manner and am a little insulted that someone would say that it cannot be used on a pro level. This is not true. These are all just tools, the great image-making comes down to the artist behind the mouse and keyboard. Banksy uses stencils, are you going to say that stencils are for students and people who just like to play around with art?
        I have to agree with you. While I know how to use both software's, I typically just use sketchup because it's nicer to look and and manage for me. The only thing I use 3ds max for is creating object that I can't in sketchup. I didn't know there were any differences between the 2 as far as vray goes but from what it looks like, they're the same with 3ds max having a few minor things that sketchup doesn't.

One feature I do like about vray for sketchup that I use a lot in my work is VMAT materials. Not sure why 3ds removed this feature.

Comment

I came across this post on Reddit the other day and I think it's a great example of what we are saying here.
          https://www.reddit.com/r/archviz/com...nt_skp23_vray/
          Matthew Valero, ASAI

Comment

Yep I saw that the other day as well

Comment

For example how can vray hair material is used for both rugs and grass??

Both are very different.

In the VFB 3d max and maya have more options( icons in the upper right)

vray enviroment fog is really bad compared to vray for 3d max and maya

The same goes for the multtimatte with RE trought glass material with refraction.

I hope to see a better translucency thin and uniform with the update 2 in vray 6 gpu

About the caustics reflection what is going on with this??

Why we still have this option off, while is on by default in vray for 3d max and maya and helps for a better global ilumination

Vray for 3d max and maya got a really nice hair shader, the vray hair material and with vray 5 update 2 new White hair shader, i wonder if vray for sketchup team did not see in more than 5 years that we deserve a better hair material?

1 for grass, 1 for rugs and 1 for cushions

Is just 1 hair shader for grass, for rugs and for cushion...It is ridiculous seriusly.

We dont do characters but how about to bring a new hair material for cushions??

The same goes for depth of field it is more practical to use it with vray for 3d max and maya

So vray for sketchup is great but is not as professional as 3d max and maya.

I saw with vray for 3d max and maya... initial support for raw RE to do complex composite, is this already for vray for sketchup?

Why with vray for sketchup we still dont have the mix curve for the falloff shader???

The last one with vray for maya they have an option to bring back proxis to the original mesh to edit proxis.

This is really usufull because if you want to change something you reallly still can do it.

With vray for sketchup we never got that tool to modify proxis to the previus thing, this was with vray 5 for maya.

We need it!!!
              Last edited by luisgamino2; 14-08-2023, 05:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ValeroStudio View Post

Many people think that sketchupvray is a very unprofessional software. They are usually compared with MAXvray. But I can't tell where the difference is. In fact, the accuracy of the model is different. Agents can solve this problem, but they cannot solve the psychological problems of users. Because people's impression of vray for sketchup is that it is not easy to use and the effect is not good. It may also be a hangover from the 9~10-year 2.0 era. Haha, one thing is that the Phoenix plug -in is not supported, and there are some special features such as animation, particles, exclusion functions, curves, and so on.

Comment

What do you mean wzfswfszf by agents they can not solve the psychological problem of users?

what i have described is some tools that can do vray for shetchup better, the software is great but i miss some functions that works really nice with vray for 3d max and maya

Comment

For example the vray visión tool, i really hope with time to look better, better reflections, better refractions.

I know is not vantage but at least can be better than what we have already.
                    Last edited by luisgamino2; 15-08-2023, 09:35 AM.

Comment

What do you mean wzfswfszf by agents they can not solve the psychological problem of users?

what i have described is some tools that can do vray for shetchup better, the software is great but i miss some functions that works really nice with vray for 3d max and maya

I mean that proxy objects can solve the problem of model fineness, but people's inherent thinking is difficult to change. Most people have the impression that vray for sketchup is unprofessional. Ha ha,But in fact there is no real difference.

Comment

For example the vray visión tool, i really hope with time to look better, better reflections, better refractions.

I know is not vantage but at least can be better than what we have already.
                        I never understood Vision. Just get the license of Vantage or Enscape, I imagine Vision will be removed soon.
                        Matthew Valero, ASAI

Comment

I was thinking in vray for sketchup 2 days ago and i would like to suggest something that really can help us.

With vray next for maya vray team brought the playblast, to see in a kind of short animation lights, how the object move.

This was a really nice update, i was like OK imagine with vray for sketchup we can do that to see how the sun moves outside the house and you see trought the hole day how shadows dance inside the space.

Vray light gen was really amazing i really liked that tool!!!

But i would be very happy to see short animation, you pick a sun and then something like the light gen but other tool bring us to see how the sun moves trought the day in the morning, Middle day and afternoon.

The playblast for maya was really nice, this is something i really miss with vray for sketchup, something to do short animation.

Since we are architecs, this could really help to convince the client to build.

I have my workstation, the client arrives then i show to him a play blast so he can see how the light goes to the space in different hours.

Visión here does not work, it has no quality, im very honest and i didnt like that tool.

I prefer like short animation with vray, of course with quality, if you have nice machine select .01 noise if you have small machine select .04 noise

But as short animation, like the playblast for vray next for maya.

I hope vray team look at this.

Thanks
                          Last edited by luisgamino2; 21-08-2023, 09:23 AM.

Comment

Hi luisgamino2​,

The playblast is a native Maya feature - exporting quick animation preview from the viewport.
                            I guess what you are referring to is the fact that V-Ray viewport rendering can also be utilised.

If that is the case, note that a similar preview can be generated in V-Ray for SketchUp by doing the following:
                            • Decrease the resolution
                            • Set the rendering quality to Low
                            • Enable denoising
                            • Set output and render
                            The only difference would be that you'll see rendered flames instead of a ready-to-play video.

Simplifying this workflow is a valid request which we'll take into consideration.

Comment

Hi Konstantin

In all my life i had never done an animation with vray for sketchup

Sketchup does not has the complete tools for that, we already know that max and maya are much better in this.

One of the things that i really miss is the posibility to have an animation as a video not as a bunch of frames and then do the animation in other software. This can be caotic and takes too much time ( with a lot of frames, i believe for 1 second takes at least 20 to 30 renders)

This can change our workflow in a very possitive way, just imagine a small playblast with the quality of vray and all his features.

Having the posibility to show a client the transition from the dinner room to the living room or the hall to the garden can helps us really a lot

The video is the Best way to represent architecture, since in real life a family moves inside the house.

I was thinking in chaos player, if we can do animations finally, can be great to send this animation vía button to Chaos player ( of course paying the licence, is in a good price and looks promising)

So we can do some postprocesing and give the animation new look in Chaos player.

VFB for adjust still images and the chaos player to edit an animation in a nice way

Vray right now is an echo system, vray, vantage, chaos player.

I hope we can see animations as easy and fast than was with vray next for maya, that option was really great.

Thanks Konstantin

Luis Gamiño
                              Last edited by luisgamino2; 28-09-2023, 11:47 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X