Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transparency question

Hi,
    I have a "transparency" problem with the final rendering of the scene provided with the tuto "Crafting a Living Room Design with V-Ray for SketchUp" from the ChaosTV Youtube channel.

Process:
    - in Sketchup's VFB, I save the "RGB Color" channel of the final rendering as .EXR
    - open this .EXR file in Photoshop with the Exr-IO V2.06.00 plugin
    - and here's the result

Click image for larger version

Name:	Pbme.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	260.4 KB
ID:	1201908

Why do I have this checkerboard transparency on an "area" that isn't supposed to be transparent?

I'm not used to working with 32-bit files, but as I like to understand, I'll ask you.

Thank you.

Windows 10 - RTX 3090 - AMD Ryzen 9 5950X - 128 Go RAM
    Sketchup PRO 23.0.419 + V-Ray 6.20.02
    3DS Max 2024.2.1 + V-Ray 6.20.06
    Chaos Vantage 2.3.0
    GeForce Studio Ready Driver Version 546.01​

Hello DCHA34,
    Thank you for the examples.

I have checked the scene in question and would like to share the reason for the transparency channel in .exr (or actually any other file format that stores Alpha channel, for example I checked with .png).

In the window glass material Door 46-41_Glass_mtl_mtl_3 under Refraction settings you can find the Affect Channels option (switch to Advanced settings). It was set to Affect All Channels, if you change it to default Color Only glass transparency will not be included.

Name:	Affect_channels_Color_only.png
Views:	74
Size:	507.7 KB
ID:	1201986 Click image for larger version

Name:	Affect_channels_All_channels.png
Views:	72
Size:	493.2 KB
ID:	1201987

Please check our documentation to see description of each option:

Affect channels – Specifies which channels are affected by the transparency of the material.
    Color Only – The transparency of the material affects only the RGB channel of the final render.
    Color+Alpha – Causes the material to transmit the alpha of the refracted objects instead of displaying an opaque alpha. Note that currently this works only with clear (non-glossy) refractions.
    All Channels – The transparency of the material affects all channels and render elements.
    Though you have already rendered an .exr file with All Channels option you still can open an .exr without transparency in Photoshop. To do that when opening the image disable Add alpha to all layers and enable Split Alpha in the Exr-IO settings.

Name:	exr_io_settings.png
Views:	86
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	1201985
    Natalia Gruzdova | chaos.com
    Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

The Split Alpha option in the way to go I believe.
      This way you still have the alpha available in case it's needed.

Comment

Working...
      X