Prepass getting slower over time when rendering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prepass getting slower over time when rendering

Hello, I am having an issue when rendering large images (above 10000x10000 px) because the prepass starts well at 100% CPU power and after some time the speed decrease bit by bit until 8% of the CPU power. I am rendering on Medium settings with AMD 5900X. I have tested this on images that have large grass areas on all the image and it is obvious that the start of the prepass rendering is much faster than the end. As soon as the prepass is done, the rendering restarts at 100%. Any idea why?

Hi,

I tried replicating your setup but for me the Light Cache prepass utilises 100% of the CPU all the way through.
    There is a very slight decrease of utilization at the end when the prepass data is processed before the final rendering starts but it's very brief and nothing like what you describe.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	132
Size:	4.48 MB
ID:	1206380

Is it possible for you to share a project that shows the problem for further investigation on our side?

Thank you in advance,
    Konstantin

Comment

Hello Konstantin, apologies if I wasn't clear on my first question. I meant that the issue is appearing during the bucket prepass and actually also during the bucket rendering. Perhaps because they take a very long time on larger images? I have copied the link to the vray scene. I am using latest version of vray and sketchup and Win11.
      WeTransfer is the simplest way to send your files around the world. Share large files and photos. Transfer up to 2GB free. File sharing made easy!

Comment

Hi,
        Thank you for sharing the vrscene but to test it we also need all the referenced assets - textures, proxies, ies lights, etc.
        You can collect all referenced item easily by using the Pack Project feature.
        Then just upload the archive via our Support form at https://support.chaos.com/hc/en-us/requests/new (this will ensure confidentiality)?​

Comment

Hi ugo_ledru ​,

Thank you for sharing the project.
          It appears that the low utilisation is happening during the Irradience Map GI prepass.
          I will notify the V-Ray Core development team but even if they identify the cause I can't guarantee it'll get fixed.
          The thing is the Irradience Map engine is considered legacy and might even be removed in the future.

I'll keep you posted,
          Konstantin

Comment

Working...
          X