Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you use the rectagular and omni lights in the beta 3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you use the rectagular and omni lights in the beta 3?

i see you guys added lights!!!! yay! and thanks. i am very new to vray, like a newborn...anyways, i just got beta 3 and it has lights now, the problem is, i dont know how to use it correctly...can anyone explain a how to? thanks a billion!!!!

Well when you click the OmniLight symbol in our toolbar you can then just choose a point to place it. Then if you right-click on the symbol in the viewport and go to VRayForSketchUp->Edit Light you can edit the light properties. Right now our falloff starts immediately, so if you are not getting the light output you desire, try increasing the multiplier. Remember to hit "OK" when your done.

The rectangle light process is the same, except you will make a plane instead of just choosing a point.
    Best regards,
    Joe Bacigalupa
    Developer

Chaos Group

Comment

is there a tutorial or an explaination of what all the functions in the rectangular lights tool box mean and their function?

Comment

from Spot3d
        • On - turns VRayLight on and off
        • Color - the color of the light.
        • Multiplier - multiplier for the light color.
        • Double-sided - this option controls whether light is beamed from both sides of the plane.
        • Invisible - this setting controls whether the shape of the VRayLight source is visible in the render result. When this option is turned off the source is rendered in the current light color. Otherwise it is not visible in the scene. Note that this option only affects the visibility of the light when seen directly by the camera or through refractions.
        • Ignore light normals - normally, the surface of the source emits light equally in all directions. When this option is off, more light is emitted in the direction of the source surface normal.
        • No decay - normally the light intensity is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the light (surfaces that are farther from the light are darker than surfaces which are closer to the light). When this option is on the intensity will not decay with distance.
        • Skylight portal - when this option is on, the Color and Multiplier parameters are ignored, instead the light will take its intensity from the environment behind it.
        • Store with irradiance map - when this option is on and GI calculation is set to Irradiance map V-Ray will calculate the effects of the VRayLight and store them in the irradiance map. The result is that the irradiance map is computed more slowly but the rendering takes less time. You can also save the irradiance map and reuse it later.
        • Subdivs - this value controls the number of samples V-Ray takes to compute lighting. Lower values mean more noisy results, but will render faster. Higher values produce smoother results but take more time. Note that the actual number of samples also depends on the rQMC Sampler settings.
        • Shadow bias - bias moves the shadow toward or away from the shadow-casting object (or objects). If the Bias value is too low, shadows can "leak" through places they shouldn't, produce moire patterns or making out-of-place dark areas on meshes. If Bias is too high, shadows can "detach" from an object. If the Bias value is too extreme in either direction, shadows might not be rendered at all.
        Best regards,
        Joe Bacigalupa
        Developer

Chaos Group

Comment

thanks joe, thats just what i needed!

Comment

Re: How do you use the rectagular and omni lights in the beta 3?

I placed a 'rectangle light' in my viewport.
            When I right click, i can't see the option 'edit' light.

How can i change the light settings?

BTW, i am using beta 4.

thanks,
            biebel

Comment

You just be able to right click on the light and adjust the setting from there

(at least that is how it was in Beta 3)
              Ypnos

Comment

I have a question

How does one control the 'softness' of a shadow? You know....control over how hard the edge of the shadow is and how much it disperses based on atmosphere and distance.

Ypnos

Comment

...changing rectangle light settings must be broken then in beta 4

Comment

Damn - ok I'll fix that and put a fixed version up asap. Sorry about that.
                    Best regards,
                    Joe Bacigalupa
                    Developer

Chaos Group

Comment

No problemo Joe.
                      Besides this minor thing i must say beta 4 looks very solid.

Comment

Thanks - I was feeling pretty confident about it too

I said this in a previous thread, but I'll say it here again just in case. Beta 4.01 was posted last night - it fixes the light editing problem. So you guys can grab that whenever.
                        Best regards,
                        Joe Bacigalupa
                        Developer

Chaos Group

Comment

Working...
                        X