V-Ray for SketchUp Release Candidate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V-Ray for SketchUp Release Candidate

Having dowloaded the new version (for SU6) I tried rendering one of my existing models and found it rendered badly - very contrasty and saturated. I checked the settings and found that some of the default settings were different. I unchecked the Correct RGB and Correct LDR boxes and it then rendered exactly the same as with the previous release.

However the 'multiplier' in the texture box seems to keep reverting to 1 even though I have set say 0.5

Also, not to sure about the new icons on the toolbar - they seem a little weak, visually, when compared with the adjacent SU icons, but I guess I'll get used to them.

Looking forward to trying out the new stuff - when I can figure out what it means!!

Thanks guys

David
    Sketchup 2015
    Vray version 2.00
    www.davidcauldwell.co.uk

Re: V-Ray for SketchUp Release Candidate

Originally posted by dcauldwell
    Having dowloaded the new version (for SU6) I tried rendering one of my existing models and found it rendered badly - very contrasty and saturated. I checked the settings and found that some of the default settings were different. I unchecked the Correct RGB and Correct LDR boxes and it then rendered exactly the same as with the previous release.
    When we started doing the betas for vfsu we wanted to streamline and make the gamma correction easier. Which lead to the Correct RGB and Correct LDR boxes in the global switches. However, the correct RGB button actually was not correcting the colors properly, which lead to poor color representation. Because there weren't any existing users when we began the beta process this went unknown for quite a while. During the vfr4 beta process our other users realized that the color correction was wrong and it was corrected to display the colors as it should. This change will lead to significantly different colors from the previous betas (with correct rgb checked of course), but these colors are corrected properly.

We also changed around a few of the defaults to reflect some small changes in the UI/core elements.

We'll see about all of the icon stuff. I was never really that satisfied with the original toolbar when I made it for rhino, but we'll see how everything ends up.
    Damien Alomar<br />Generally Cool Dude

Comment

and another thing. . .

It would appear that now the u and v in the texture editor can be set at '1' to get the correct scaling rather than the previous '0.001'

This is like hunt the thimble! (stumbling on the changes!)
      Sketchup 2015
      Vray version 2.00
      www.davidcauldwell.co.uk

Comment

really?

i have not downloaded it. but it seems we have to be familiarize again with the changes. is this thing will apply on lights too? any way i will try to download it.

http://www.nomeradona.blogspot.com/
        http://www.sketchupvrayresources.blogspot.com/
        http://www.nomeradonaart.blogspot.com/

Comment

[font=Verdana]Having dowloaded the new version (for SU6) I tried rendering one of my existing models and found it rendered badly - very contrasty and saturated. I checked the settings and found that some of the default settings were different. I unchecked the Correct RGB and Correct LDR boxes and it then rendered exactly the same as with the previous release.
          I think the saturation problems you are noticing are related to changes in the V-Ray SDK as far as the physical sky / physical camera are related. The scenes are probably brighter than they were previously.

However the 'multiplier' in the texture box seems to keep reverting to 1 even though I have set say 0.5
          I'll see what I can find about that
          Best regards,
          Joe Bacigalupa
          Developer

Chaos Group

Comment

It would appear that now the u and v in the texture editor can be set at '1' to get the correct scaling rather than the previous '0.001'
            I don't quite follow why you would have to set your UVs to be 0.001 to get "correct" scaling. Is there a difference in scene scale between the scenes where you needed these different uv scales?

This is like hunt the thimble! (stumbling on the changes!)
            I wasn't aware we changed anything as far as UVs or textures - but perhaps changing something else caused these issues.
            Best regards,
            Joe Bacigalupa
            Developer

Chaos Group

Comment

Oops! Sorry about the texture scaling issue - it's just me.

I tried the issue out on a new test model, with a different texture. I used a linked material and didn't need to reset the u and v, so as far as Sketchup is concerned its very WYSIWYG. The resetting of the multiplier must have been related, as it now works (sorry to mislead you folks)

These texture trials are
              1. without bumps,
              2. with bumps
              3. with bumps and a hdri in the environment slot

Sketchup 2015
              Vray version 2.00
              www.davidcauldwell.co.uk

Comment

just downloaded this new one. i tried and the color is much brighter.

david nice wood texture.
                http://www.nomeradona.blogspot.com/
                http://www.sketchupvrayresources.blogspot.com/
                http://www.nomeradonaart.blogspot.com/

Comment

Oops! Sorry about the texture scaling issue - it's just me.
                  whew! you had me scared I'm still going to take a look around just to be sure
                  Best regards,
                  Joe Bacigalupa
                  Developer

Chaos Group

Comment

Originally posted by nomeradona
                    just downloaded this new one. i tried and the color is much brighter.
                    The physical sky/ camera were changed a bit. So you may need to adjust them accordingly to get the correct lighting if it is too saturated.
                    Best regards,
                    Joe Bacigalupa
                    Developer

Chaos Group

Comment

You can also white balance the camera. That would be the most "physically correct" thing to do
                      Damien Alomar<br />Generally Cool Dude

Comment

cauldwell

I may be slightly off topic...but I myself am still struggling with the application of bump and displacement maps with this program. I have searched many posts, and have found nothing that seems to help me.

When I attempt to apply them via a linked material, the scale goes all screwy.

Would you mind sharing your workflow for how you apply your various maps?

Are you using seperate maps for bump etc. seperate from the sketchup material? Or if you are using a linked material, how are you fixing the scaling issue?

Any information you could share I would appreciate so much.

Comment

valynkenlyl

I've posted a reply to this on your other thread on this same topic.

David
                          Sketchup 2015
                          Vray version 2.00
                          www.davidcauldwell.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                          X