Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Translucent material

hello,
    i'm trying to make translucent material, and when i applied the setting as it says in manual, the render took 10 hours and yet came close to the finish.
    i have:
    XP SP2, Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 2.40GHz, 2.0GB, NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT

this is the settings i used:

this is what i got after 10hours of rendering:

and that's what i want to get to:

Someone knows what may causing this, and how can i fix it?

www.Top3Dstudio.com
    SU 8
    VfS 1.48.89
    Win 7 64-bit

Re: Translucent material

Sorry for my language, but translucent materials a notorious as the defiant bastards of the v-ray materials. Setting them up is usually an absolute pain in butt, and will go from not working at all, to good results, back to looking like crap. They will be so reactive to your scene setup, scale, and the geometry to which they're applied. Not only that, but they will kill your render times. My recent trend has been decrease a lot of my material subdivisions, but when working with translucent material even that is usually not enough. My advice would be to decrease the refractive subdivisions to 2 and decrease your quality settings so that you can get previews going. One good rule is to NEVER use DMC...translucent materials are like kryptonite to DMC. If you're using LC make sure to have Use Glossy Rays enabled, and I wouldn't take to many subdivisions as the longer LC has to trace, the more of a slowdown you'll see. The real goal is to get previews going in a reasonable time so you can start to evaluate and make material changes. Yea it won't look good, but you'll be able to make it do what you want it to in terms of results and affect. After you've actually go things going, then you can start making some quality adjustments to get things smoother. If your want it really smooth then you're going to have to wait quite a while.
    Damien Alomar<br />Generally Cool Dude

Comment

o.k so...
      I understood the idea of decreasing the quality of the outcome render,
      but since i'm a newbie to vray i have to ask you to explain to me please a few terms that you used:

1. Quality- you mean the final resolution?
      2. DMC - ?
      3. Subdivisions- are&#160; they located in the options>displacement?
      4.Glossy Rays-?
      5.LC- Light Cache?

Also i would like to know is the kind of engine used is relevant for that matter?
      Sorry for my ignorance .
      www.Top3Dstudio.com
      SU 8
      VfS 1.48.89
      Win 7 64-bit

Comment

Maybe you can try using one of the glass materials from the repository and change the diffuse color to the yellow you are looking for. Also, sometimes turning off translucency and adding a second refraction layer, with the sketchup material's transparency turned down, seems to produce a translucent material for me.

Comment

Quality - I'm not referring to size, but rather how good the final image looks. When doing tests with translucency is going to be much faster to have the material very noisy because all your doing is testing its reaction within the scene and to the geometry.

DMC - Deterministic Monte Carlo - A brute force light calculation, formerly called QMC...is a very accurate, but slow method.

Subdivisions are everywhere in V-Ray, but in this case I'm refering to the subdivisions in the refractive layer of the material.

Glossy Rays - any rays that contribute to materials with glossiness applied. This is more referring to a specific setting that can be found in the Light Cache rollout.

LC = Light Cache
          Damien Alomar<br />Generally Cool Dude

Comment

Working...
          X