cpu´s requirement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cpu´s requirement

hi, im going to buy a new pc and i like if someone who knows about that can help me.(excuse my english)
    i only work with sketchup and vrayforsu.
    i see this pc to buy,
    intel core 2 quad q6600, 4x2,4ghz, 8mb cache, 1066 mhz bus, 2048 gb ram,and nvidia geforce 7100
    this is a good pc????
    please help me, i dont know anything about.
    i need more ram???maybe 3 or 4 mb
    its the nvidia geforce good, or i need an ATI (because sketchup works OPENGL)????
    TAHNKS

Re: cpu´s requirement

Hey. I am in the process of purchasing a PC as well. I would recommend you have one custom built for your needs that way it will perform the way you want it to and you won’t be paying for things that you don’t need.

These are some specs I recommend.

4 gig ram – minimum
    Intel quad core
    Graphics card – doesn’t really matter for vray….may improve sketchup a bit
    (Not important)
    500 gig hard drive

Comment

Unless you're using a 64 bit version of widows, you won't be able to access more than 3 gbs max (and thats if you have a 3gb switch). And if you are using 64 bit you won't be able to work off of more than 4gbs per process. So I wouldn't splurge for memory you won't even be able to use.

AFA processors go, as many cores as you can (ie. Quads), as many processors as you can, and as fast as you can. Since there are aspects of the render process (such as parsing the scene) that will only use one thread, having the fastest clock speed you can is fairly important. Once the rendering gets going though, the number of threads available will be more important.
      Damien Alomar<br />Generally Cool Dude

Comment

Originally posted by dalomar
        Unless you're using a 64 bit version of widows, you won't be able to access more than 3 gbs max (and thats if you have a 3gb switch). And if you are using 64 bit you won't be able to work off of more than 4gbs per process. So I wouldn't splurge for memory you won't even be able to use.
        how can I know what version (32 or 64 bis) am I using??? and also how do I know if I have the 3gb switch??? and how can I use it??? :-\
        Juan Carlos

Comment

If you were using either you would know. 64 bit requires a different operating system and the 3gb switch requires manually setting it. Google both for more info.
          Damien Alomar<br />Generally Cool Dude

Comment

Hi,

I think your q6600 would work great. My understanding of CPU requirement is easiest to compare a fast single core to a dual core to a quad core. If the single core is faster (higher Ghz) then it will setup the scene quicker to get the rendering stage started. A few seconds later, the dual and quad core computers will get to this stage. The dual core will race past the single core and the quad core will fly past the dual core. Quad core wins.

Need more speed? Use distributed rendering, its amazing how fast your scene will render, it will blow away any quad core ( assuming you are not using really old computers).

My advice is to buy two cheap quad cores (cheap as possible) vs 1 expensive quad core setup. You will have twice the rendering speed.

I think video cards have no effect on the performance of the rendering. Although I hear that if they used that if would be faster than the CPU doing it, since they have a gazillion processors. I haven't seen an option to use the video card if thats even possible.

Comment

Working...
            X