X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• System requirements

Hi guys!
    I need to buy a new desktop computer.
    So I was wondering if for V-ray sketchup is recomended a special configuration.
    For the grafic card and for the processor.
    Is here a section that explains that?

Which Operative system for pc do you recomand?
    Vista or xp.
    I know that rhino might be slower on vista.

thank you guys.
    Keep up the good work.
    CIao
    Vinch

Re: System requirements

There's no "special" configuration. The graphics card actually doesn't matter for V-Ray specifically (it doesn't use it), but will obviously influence working in the host application. Other than that, as much speed as you can afford in terms of multi core processors and as much memory as you can use up to 3gbs. As for OS, that's more of a personal choice (xp or vista), but you may want to look into a 64 bit OS.
    Damien Alomar<br />Generally Cool Dude

Comment

Stuff as many CPU cores and RAM you can afford.
      I good graphics card is good for SketchUp so you can handle larger models.
      Please mention what V-Ray and SketchUp version you are using when posting questions.

Comment

I specifically said 3 gbs of ram for a reason because thats the max amount of RAM that SU could possibly use. In 64 bit you won't have to worry about doing anything else, but because SU is a 32 bit app it will be limited in the amount of memory it can access. With a 32 bit os you'll have to enable a 3gb switch to get access, but this will be the max you can work with. I don't want people to spend money on RAM that they can't possibly use when they could have spend that on a more capable processor/graphics card. I don't really like that they are advertising vista 32 bit computers with 4 gbs even though you could never use all 4.

Comment

Very good point. I really wish 64bit would properly kick off.
          Please mention what V-Ray and SketchUp version you are using when posting questions.

Comment

It actually kind of annoys me that Vista wasn't completely 64 bit. In my mind (whatever thats worth), there couldn't have been a better time. All the drivers and hardware interfaces would have to be rewritten for a new OS, so why not just make the change then when its less painful...but no. I could expand further, but it would be for nothing...32 bits going to be around for quite a while longer, so I hope your hardware manufacturers are good sports and make 64 bit drivers.

Comment

Thank you Dalomar,
              at the end I was forced to take a 32mb...and expand later!
              Was I stupid?

Comment

no...98% of the world uses 32 bit...as much as I'd like to call 98% of the world stupid I just can't ;D besides what kind of computer do you think I'm typing on right now? In fact the 64 bit machine that I do have is currently out of commission

Comment

Working...
                X